TOMS RIVER LITTLE LEAGUE: Complex Field Names / History

Alton Estomin Complex Sign.jpg
Mayor Signs over property 1963.jpg
Mayor Signs Over Land
view full size
Alton Estomin Baseball Complex

The original Toms River Little League baseball diamonds were located where the Water Street Toms River Post Office is now.  In 1963 Mr. Alton Estomin (TRLL President at that time) convinced Mayor John Woods of Toms River to donate 14 acres of land off Mapletree Road.  Mr. Estomin’s vision and foresight over 50 years ago to obtain the land for a little league complex and the continued dedication and hard work of the Toms River Little League coaches and volunteers over the years have led to a first class facility for our youngsters.  The dedication of the Toms River Little League Complex in honor of Mr. Estomin in 2009 serves as a lasting memorial to the vision and commitment to our community and our children.



TRLL Baseball Complex Field Names and Locations
TRLL_Field_Names

History of the Toms River Little League field names



Ashley Field
Louis Ashley
July 7, 1908-Janunary 2, 1969
SSGT, HQ 7 Army, WWII
Bronze Star Medal
Established the first minor league program for the TRLL in 1965.
The field was dedicate in the Spring of 1972.



Scavuzzo Vietnam Memorial DC
Vietnam Memorial Washington DC
Peter Scavuzzo
Peter Gary Scavuzzo
view full size

Scavuzzo Field
Lance Corporal Peter Gary Scavuzzo
10/10/46 - 3/17/66
Attended Toms River High School and enlisted in the US Marine Corps.
He was killed in actioning Quang Ngai Province in South Vietnam in an attack on North Vietnamese troops on the first day of Operation Utah. 
Peter Scavuzzo was buried on March 17, 1966 with full military honors at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church in Toms River.
The field was dedicated on Memorial Day, May 30, 1966.



Hess_Logo
Simon Field Sponsor
view full size
2012 Simon Field Rededication
2012 Simon Field Re-dedication
view full size

Simon Field
Frank Simon
8/9/14-10/31/71
Frank was one of the original members of the First TRLL Board of Directors.  He was a coach and a member of the League for 10 years.
The field was dedicated in the Spring of 1972. 

In the Spring of 2011 Hess corporation donated funds to refurbish and sponsor Simon Field.  Thank You HESS for your generous donation in support of Toms River Little League!



Ostermann Field
Hank Ostermann
Hank was a board member and coach for TRLL.  He retired after 15 years of dedicated service to the youth of Toms River from 1970-1985.
The field was dedicated on April 8, 1985.



Nowicki Field ("A" Field)
Robert Allen Nowicki was the son of a past TRLL President.
Robert died April 18, 1985 at the age of 22.
The field was dedicated on April 19, 1986
.



Candyman_Tom
Tom Kelleher
view full size
Candyman Field

Tom "The Candyman" Kelleher
1913-1998
Tom was a singer and former vaudeville man.
He spent endless hours volunteering at every sporting event in Toms River.
He was famous for handing out free "bazookas" and "jolly ranchers".
The field was dedicated on May 6, 1989.
A Scholarship was established in his name in April 1997.



Albert Pero 2009
Albert Pero Jr.
view full size

Pero Field (T-Ball Field)
Albert Pero Jr.
In grateful appreciation of 25 years of dedicated service.
The field was dedicated May 5, 2009.



Subscribe to this site