Southwestern Umpire Association of Ohio: Welcome
Southwestern Umpires Association (SWUA) was founded in 1952 and is among the longest standing baseball and softball officiating association in Ohio. We have been serving the Greater Miami Valley high school conferences and summer league programs with the highest quality of umpires for 60 years. We currently serve the SWBL, FAVC, GMC, GCL, and GWOC high school conferences. Many of our umpires have moved on to officiate at both the collegiate and professional ranks throughout the years. Our association leaders, trainers, and interpreters are active year round; providing continuous training for our membership.
SWUA Service to Our Customers
The SWUA takes great pride in providing a personal level of service to area high school and summer league teams. Nearly all of our 130 plus high school certified umpires reside and work in the Greater Miami Valley area where your team competes and therefore have a vested interest in your community.
Umpire Assigning Service
The SWUA uses a state of the art online assigning system to achieve efficient and error proof handling of your umpire needs. Upon submission of a team’s schedule to one of our SWAU assigners, your team will be registered in our online assigning system and your manager and coaches will be provided access to view your team’s schedule to verify accuracy. You will also have access to the contact information of the umpires assigned to your games weeks in advance. Additions and adjustments to your game schedule throughout the course of the season will be accommodated through your e-mail or phone contact with our association assigners with no penalty cost or additional fees.
SWUA Provides Big Benefits to Our Customers
- Provide both Baseball and Softball umpiring services
- Offers the lowest setup and per game assigning fee in the area
- Entire membership is OHSAA certified
- All summer league umpires are required to attend specific training for summer league ball
- Even during the wettest of seasons, there are sufficient, fully qualified, umpires and assigners ready to provide the flexibility to accommodate all make-up schedules.
- To ensure fresh and mobile umpires, even in tournaments, our umpires are not assigned to more than double headers without sufficient rest.
- Our trainers actually listen to our coaches and managers and adjust our continuing umpire training to address topics like:
- Proper umpire mechanics ensuring correct positioning to ‘make the call’
- Legitimate strike zone to reduce high pitch counts
- Sensible game management to move the game along
- Proper appearance