Back Back to Board Total Views: 3570 - Total Replies: 3 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: Christy__46

Posted: 11/25/2003 10:58am
Views:   941
Replies: 2
  calming pre-race nerves  
Hi,my names Christina (Christy to my friends) and my question is-although I've been swimming for 13 years, and really love racing (especially shorter distances-real fun!) I do get pretty nervous before races. I start to get nervous almost as soon as I arrive at the event, an hour before the event we do warm-ups, and because I'm usually in the 50 or 100 metres, which in our level are usually the last events (Hey, it's not exactly the Olympics!)there's usually at LEAST an hour and a half, and sometimes as much as 2 hours between warm-up and the starting gun. Any tips on making the waiting time a bit-well,less boring?

Nickname: H2OPolo_CoachDave

Posted: 10/11/2004 9:25am
Views:   878
Replies: 1
  Re: calming pre-race nerves  
Wait time getting you down??? Bring a deck of cards. Nothing beats burning daylight like a game of Solitare. Or, grab 3 friends and learn how to play Eucher. Lots of fun. Want to see an hour fly by? Even Go-Fish worked charms for me when I was swimming. Handheld games work, or even a book. You do what to leave yourself some time for visualization and race focus. When it's time for that, you're in a world all your own.

An another note, can you only enter those races??? How about opening up your participation level and do an I.M. or butterfly event. That would break up the time and certainly keep you loose for later races. Last I knew, I thought meets would last upwards of 3 or 4 hours. Jump in and swim a couple more races. Like you said, it isn't the Olympics. And you will find that your recovery time will not be that bad, as long as you don't over do it between races.

Coach Dave

Nickname: Christy__46

Posted: 10/13/2004 4:15am
Views:   890
Replies: 0
Thanks Coach Dave. I now compete in the 200 IM and in the relays as well, so I now have less time for sitting around and getting as nervous as I used to. I only get nervous for the first race (the 200 IM) and as that's fairly early on in our programme, I like to get the nerves out of the way fairly early. During the break, I now sit in the changing room, knit, sow, and if there's time (there sometimes is) I put my head down and have a nap-remembering to get someone to wake me 20 minutes before my next race so I can psyche myself up again! I really enjoy the whole day now rather than getting stressed. Competing's such fun anyway- I love it! Anyone else got their own strategy for lessening those pesky pre-race nerves?

[ Modified 10/13/2004 4:33am by Christy__46 ]

Nickname: WYN

Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14pm
Views:   864
Replies: 0
My tip, turn on the i-pod and learn how to relax all your muscles. Think about the music, etc. It is how I do it.

Happy Thanksgiving! < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Spooky Contest Winners! Happy Halloween!   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports