Back Back to Board Total Views: 3067 - Total Replies: 2 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: swimseeker

Posted: 10/12/2001 12:36pm
Views:   1039
Replies: 2
  Question  Need some help with my kick  
I am just learning to swim for the first time in my life. However, I am having a real hard time mastering the kick. I have tried kick boards but I don't move at all in the water. If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to help propell myself in the water with my kick please let me know. Right now I am all arms with no kick and it is really holding me back.

Nickname: swim1

Posted: 12/22/2001 8:14am
Views:   1013
Replies: 0
  Re: Need some help with my kick  
to help with your kick you should try using a kickboard and not to use your arms at all. Use a scissor-like motion with your legs so that you can do freestyle and backstroke. When you feel confident enough go on to the breaststroke and butterfly kicks which are a bit more harder. Also, try buying some ankle weights at your local sporting goods store and do leg-strengthening exercises at home. Furthermore, I'm on the JCC Sailfish team in Pittsburgh, PA and we use flippers a lot. These can help strengthen your legs and ankles and can also let you get the hang of kicking. You can pick them up at a specialty store (look for it in your yellow pages)or at a sporting goods store during the summer. I hope that these tips work for you and be patient! Don't get discouraged!

Nickname: rowingirl

Posted: 4/13/2002 12:27pm
Views:   1017
Replies: 0
  Happy  Re: Need some help with my kick  
I am a Water Safety Instructor for the Red Cross and have taught many adults and children how to swim. The older students I have taught are generally the ones who have a harder time mastering kicking. I can not tell what you need to modify obviously since I cant see your current kick but here are some important tips: Be sure to kick more from your hips not your knees and make sure your knees are just barely bent, keep your feet as extended as possible and work on your ankle flexibility to get your legs all the way from your knee down in the straightest line possible, don't kick too deep but also never let your entire foot come out of the water, kick fast medium small size kicks and remeber to push it hard to get better, you want to be breathing hard and have burning legs. Hope this helps.

In need of Coaching advice for new coach of small team < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Need tips, please   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports