Back Back to Board Total Views: 5439 - Total Replies: 3 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: soccerma

Posted: 3/4/2001 8:09pm
Views:   1395
Replies: 1
  Angry  rashes caused by goggles  
Have any swimmers out there experienced rashes around the eyes caused by goggles. My 8 yr old daughter has been swimming competitively all winter without any problems. She got new goggles about 3 weeks ago. She kept complaining that they were leaking and kept tightening them (without my knowledge). Last week she developed what at first appeared to be abrasions. I wasn't too worried because I thought that once we adjusted the goggles and gave her skin a few days that it would recover. Her skin now does not appear to be broken but she has a red rash that has tiny bumps. I've put hydrocortisone on it but no real improvement. The goggles she was wearing have foam on them (as opposed to the plastic/silicon stuff). I think I'll have to take her to the doc tomorrow but I was wondering if this is common among swimmers and what to do to prevent it in the future (besides making sure the goggles aren't too tight). She has the last big meet of the season next weekend and she is worried about practicing this week because it hurts to wear the goggles. Thanks for any help.

Nickname: Fid

Posted: 7/11/2001 2:39pm
Views:   1368
  Happy  Re: rashes caused by goggles  
This is a bit late but may be of use to you. My daughter went through the same thing when she was younger, about 11. We never went so far as to visit the doctor, but I decided it was a sensitization reaction to the foam rubber and chlorine/bacteria that resides in the padding. She went to the Swedish goggles, no padding whatsoever just form fitted plastic, and is now 16 and has never experienced a recurrence of the problem. An added benefit is that the goggles retail for about $4.50, so you aren't going broke trying to keep them supplied. Good luck.

Nickname: rowingirl

Posted: 4/13/2002 12:47pm
Views:   1350
  Happy  Re: rashes caused by goggles  
I agree, I love swedish goggles. Even though they took awhile to get use to at first, and hurt a bit at first, totally worthwhile transition I made about 8 years ago. They are faster as well and adjustable to your face/head exactly.

Nickname: anarchy99

Posted: 11/14/2002 8:57am
Views:   1329
Replies: 0
  Re: rashes caused by goggles  
yea sweedish gogles are the best for racing that i have found ...i also saw that many people i know including my self areget rashes from that speedo fome gogles =(

Shampoo < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > For volunteer coaches   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports