Back Back to Board Total Views: 30786 - Total Replies: 14 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: JohnF

Posted: 12/3/2008 12:00pm
Views:   2146
Replies: 3
  Happy  Throw In - What Would You Do?  
My referee assignor sent this incident around. It did not happen to me, but rather to another referee about a month ago.

A1 is about to take a throw-in in front of his own technical area. Coach A leaves the technical area and calls Player A2 over for some instruction. Coach A is standing near the touchline and is pointing across the field, while A2 is on the field close to the touchline.

A1 throws the ball at that time. The ball, however, strikes the coach's arm and lands on the pitch. What would you do, if anything?

Nickname: Brianm

Posted: 12/3/2008 3:06pm
Views:   2147
Replies: 0
  Re: Throw In - What Would You Do?  
That one I have no idea about. I guess it could be no different then if the throw hit off the AR but then the coach was outside his technical area. Not sure, can I have a hint.

Nickname: GaryV

Posted: 12/3/2008 7:28pm
Views:   2124
Replies: 1
Dropped ball for the interference. Some pointed words to the coach to be sure he stays out of the path of the ball.

Nickname: keith__286

Posted: 12/5/2008 12:37pm
Views:   2106
Gary, dropped ball for sure if coach's arm is extended onto the field. If he's off the field I think I'd ignore it or have a rethrow

Posted: 12/7/2008 4:19am
Views:   2104
Agreed; if the ball was still outside the field before it hit the coach, it would be a retake.

My point was that there should be no sanctions taken against the coach, who was only acting properly in his role of giving tactical instruction to a player. Just a reminder to try to keep out of the way while doing so.

Nickname: JohnF

Posted: 12/7/2008 5:34pm
Views:   2091
  Happy  Re: Throw In - What Would You Do?  
I have to admit that this one just proves that whenever you think you've seen it all, something new happens.

I am not sure what the match CR did in this case. The advice may assignor gave, though, was that the restart would depend on exactly where the arm was when the ball hit it. If the ball was not yet in play, retake the throw. If in play, a drop ball.

Hopefully, though, this particular situation will not be seen again!

[ Modified 12/7/2008 5:54pm by JohnF ]

Nickname: ref47

Posted: 12/8/2008 6:44am
Views:   2090
we need to remind the coach to stay in the technical area. if repeated and it is becoming a problem - dismiss the coach for irresponsible behavior.

Posted: 12/9/2008 5:03am
Views:   2082
Replies: 2
Except that in this case the coach has temporarily left the technical area to make a tactical comment to one of his players. That is allowed, provided he then returns to the technical area.

Laws, page 52: "only one person at a time is authorised to convey tactical instructions and he must return to his position after giving these instructions"

Nickname: ref47

Posted: 12/9/2008 6:21am
Views:   2079
you need to keep reading on page 52. the coaching staff is to remain in the technical area, even when giving instructions. "the coach and other officials must remain within its confines except in special circumstances, for example, a physio. or dr. entering the fop, ...". "his position" is on the bench.

[ Modified 12/11/2008 6:56am by ref47 ]

Nickname: TheOnceAndFutureMel

Posted: 12/28/2008 12:10pm
Views:   2047
The EXACT words on page 52 are:   

• only one person at a time is authorised to convey tactical instructions and he must return to his position after giving these
instructions
• the coach and other officials must remain within its confines except in special circumstances, for example, a physiotherapist or doctor entering the field of play, with the referee’s permission, to assess an injured player.

This DOES seem to indicate that coach may NOT leave the TA - even to give tactical instructions.

Earlier on page 52, it indicates that the TA
should not be no closer than 1 yard from the touchline:

" . . . and extends forward up to a distance of 1 m (1 yd) from the touch line"

I can't see why a coach should need to be closer to the touchline to give instructions - they make themselves heard across the field when shouting at the ref! Being within that 1 yard zone, could interfere with the AR's movement or view.

Nickname: CPAref

Posted: 1/14/2009 11:34am
Views:   2005
The "his position" in Gary V's response is "his seat on the bench". I remember a verson of the LOTG that specifically said all participants are to remain seated during the match. The coach could leave his seat during the match only to convey tactical instructions, and had to return to his seat when done.

Most coaches are sensible enough to get out of the way of play. Some substitutes, however....

Posted: 1/14/2009 7:55pm
Views:   1977
Replies: 2
I don't know where you referee but around here coaches and assistant coaches constantly get in the way of the AR. Doesn't seem to change much as level of play raises although the coaches at higher levels complain more if you miss a ball out of play because they were in the way.

Nickname: refmike

Posted: 1/26/2009 5:21pm
Views:   1938
A big part of the problem is fields in which a technical area is not marked. Without a TA line (1 yard behind the touchline) most coaches will drift up to the touchline and will step back when asked, then drift up again. The marked area really helps when you tell the coach to stay behind the line. If a field does not have a TA marking, it should be noted on the game card and if necessary, followed up with emails to the ref coordinator and president of the league. It really does help keep coaches, subs and parents off the touchline.

Nickname: CPAref

Posted: 1/27/2009 12:08pm
Views:   1929
Keith,

Those are the games I wear cleats when running the line. I politely remind the coaches a few times they are too close to the touch line, but don't give them much room when running by. They usually get the message pretty quickly. The ones who complain about a missed call get a quick, less polite, lecture on why it was missed.

If parents are too close, that needs to be addressed before the game. The worst are the ones who bring those chairs with the foot rests. They start out with their feet on the field!.

Posted: 1/27/2009 6:20pm
Views:   1935
The worst parents are the ones that bring their toddlers, put them on a blanket 3 feet from the touchline and then don't watch them. Creates a dangerous situation for the little kids as well as making the ARs job more difficult

Offside Scenario < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Here's Another One....   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports