San Jose Women's Softball League: About Us
The specific, primary purposes for which this corporation is organized are:
* To provide an organized, slowpitch softball league where any woman can participate in the sport in a safe, healthy, positive atmosphere that is free of the negative attitudes based on differences in sexual orientation that are often faced by members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered (LGBT) communities.
* To promote the general welfare of its participants and the general community.
* To foster good will and understanding between the general community and LGBT community.
* To promote good sportsmanship.
* To develop leadership skills among its participants.
* For no fee or for a nominal fee, to teach the sport of slowpitch softball to new players, regardless of physical handicap, age, race, creed, religion, national origin, gender, previous gender or sexual orientation; and to improve the skills of any players who are already experienced.
* To provide appropriate competition for players and teams of all skill levels.
* To develop teams to compete in NAGAAAs annual Gay Womens Softball World Series Softball tournament so that they can represent the San Jose metropolitan area and our League in a positive manner.
* To organize and promote participation in such athletic, social, cultural or charitable activities as may serve the preceding purposes.
How We Got Started and Why
The San Jose Women's Softball League (SJWSL), aka the Savoy Womens Softball League (SWSL) was founded in 2003 by a small set of players who were inspired by the wonderful experience they had playing in a similar league about 50 miles north, the San Francisco Gay Softball League (SFGSL).
It was SO much FUN to play softball in a healthy, positive, social-yet-competitive atmosphere that was free of the negative attitudes that we members of the lesbian, gay, bi and transgendered (LGBT) community face on a day-to-day basis, and surprisingly to some, even in general womens softball leagues says Tori E., the key founder of the SWSL.
In addition to the comfortable atmosphere where one can just be themselves without having to fear sneers, jeers and bigotry, the SFGSL offers the opportunity for its teams to earn berths to the annual Gay World Series (GWS) softball tournament, which is sanctioned by the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Alliance (NAGAAA) and held in a different host city each year.
Tori continues, This group of us, Lisa S., Jenny H., Jen B. and I, we wanted to form a San Jose-based team that could have a chance to compete in that tournament. We considered playing in the SFGSL, but we didnt want to drive 100 miles round-trip on Sundays. We saw a lot of family on our ball fields down here so we thought, Lets not just form a team, lets form a LEAGUE for other South Bay gals like us. San Jose is a big city. It deserves a gay-friendly women's league and representation at the GWS.
As we approached players on the South Bay diamonds with the idea, the responses we heard were along the lines of, Its about time! Count us in! and Finally!
So we built it. They came. Here we are. The first pitch was thrown by Miguel M. from our local Silicon Valley Softball League (SVSL) and the catch was received by Maggie W. from the SFGSL at Mise Field in San Jose on April 7th, 2003.
Many thanks go to the good folks at the SFGSL and the SVSL who offered us help and inspiration to get off the ground. We couldnt have done it without them.
Also key to our Leagues founding is Club Savoy and the many incredible, talented and tireless women who volunteered literally thousands of combined hours to make this League happen.
This league is truly a group effort. With the continued cheerful and energetic collaboration of all the Leagues players and teams, we will continue to grow and further our mission.
Post-Commissioner and Founder
This league was incorporated in 2004 in the state of California as a public benefit, non-member, 501(c)4 Social Welfare organization.
It is a nonprofit but it is not a charity. Contributions are not tax deductible but can be written off as an advertising/business expense, when applicable.
The league's official, incorporated name is the San Jose Women's Softball League.
It also owns the name "Savoy Women's Softball League."
For a current list of board members, see the "Board & Officers" link.
The most current bylaws are available under "Documents & Forms."
If you have questions, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 408-800-2425 and leave a message.
How to Reach Us
San Jose Women's Softball League
PO Box 6112, San Jose, CA 95150-6112
Phone: (408) 800-2425 (leave a voicemail or send a text)