JCC Swimming: Welcome
Our Swim Team is located in Owings Mills, Maryland and practices at the Rosenbloom Owings Mills JCC. The team's history stretches back to the 1950s, but the team first became known as the Baltimore JCC Baracudas in 1977, when the first outdoor pool was built for the Shapiro Recreation Park (now the Shapiro Aquatics Park) on Gywnnbrook Avenue.
As the Baltimore JCC Barracudas, our team competes in the JCC Association of North America's Mid-Atlantic Swim League during the winter and as part of the Central Maryland Swim League during the summer. As the Barracudas, the team won the Mid-Atlantic Swim League championship in 2007, 2010 and 2012. The Barracudas won the CMSL Division IX title in 2011 and 2012, and the Division VIII Championship in 2013. In 2012, Alan Cherches set the team's first CMSL League Records. In 2014, the Barracudas moved from Division VIII to Division V.
The team joined USA Swimming in 2007. The USA Swimming-affiliated swim team of the JCC of Greater Baltimore is officially called JCC Swimming. JCC Swimming participates in meets throughout the year as part of Maryland Swimming.
In 2010, the team merged with another team (the Baltimore Metro Aquatic Club, or BMAC) under the leadership of Head Coach Brendan McElroy. Later that year, the team sent its first swimmer to the USA Swimming Junior National Championships.
Tryouts for NEW SWIMMERS for the Baltimore JCC Swim Team (JCC Swimming) will be held at the Rosenbloom Owings Mills Indoor Pool between 4:30 and 5:30pm by appointment. (Other individual tryout times are available, please contact the coaches...)
For more information or to arrange a tryout time, please contact us at 410.559.3536 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The team is open to members of the JCC who are able to complete the following swimming skills tests:
- Ages 8 & Under: Must be able to complete one pool length (25 yards) swimming the front crawl (or "freestyle") and one pool length swimming the back crawl.
- Ages 9-12: Must be able to complete one pool length (25 yards) of each of the following strokes: front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke; and 15 yards of the butterfly.
- Ages 13 - 18: Must be able to complete two lengths (50 yards) of each of the following strokes: front crawl, back crawl, breaststroke; and one length (25 yards) of the butterfly.
All swimmers trying out for JCC Swimming must be able to perform a shallow dive.
Swimmers who can complete at least one of the competitive strokes properly may participate in our Pre-Team program, taught in conjunction with the JCC Swim School. Please speak to the coaches during tryouts for additional information about this program.
Swimming has long been a sport about achievements. Now, with the launch of USA Swimming’s “Deck Pass”™, a new online and mobile application, swimmers can easily connect with one another and share their achievements with other members of the swimming community.
Deck Pass™ is an innovative digital application that lets swimmers track their best times, set goals and earn digital patches for their accomplishments in the pool. It’s easy, free to use and is designed to let swimmers capture what they’re accomplishing in the water online and then share with their friends and family. Users can access Deck Pass™ online or via a free mobile application.
Deck Pass™ users can choose to connect their accounts with Facebook to share their swimming milestones with their friends and family. The program is also a great motivational tool that is designed to help guide to swimmers to achievements both in and out of the water. For example, if a swimmer swims a best time at a recent meet, they will automatically earn a digital patch celebrating their achievement.
While Deck Pass™ times updates are automatic for USA Swimming members, the application can be used by anyone. Whether you’re a recreational swimmer, a club swimmer or even a coach, Deck Pass™ has something for everyone!
With Deck Pass™, USA Swimming members can:
• Connect with teammates and coaches who are also using Deck Pass™. Swimmers over 13, you can also connect with Facebook friends to share achievements with their friends and family
• Automatically earn digital patches for accomplishments in the pool from a best time to swimming a news event
• Track best times and times from recent meets
• Set goals for the season
All swimmers can:
• Connect with teammates and coaches who are also using Deck Pass™
• Enter times in the virtual Log Book to earn digital patches and track best times
• Set goals for the season
• Keep track of your times at your most recent meets.
Deck Pass 30 Second Promo by USA Swimming
Although this website is about a swim team that includes children, the team does not actively collect any data through this website. As a result, the Children's Online privacy Protection Act (which applies only to websites that collect data from children, such as marketing websites) does not apply.
Our team takes the protection of our young athletes seriously. For more information on how USA Swimming works to keep its athletes safe, please check out http://www.usaswimming.org/protect.