Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League: Hilltoppers News
|Our defending champs The Three Amigos|
The 22nd Annual Never on Mother's Day Softball Tournament is just around the corner. Mark your calendars now for May 20, so you don't miss out on this day of fun at Cadman Park.
Every year, dozens of Hilltoppers parents, coaches, friends and alumni gather at Cadman Park for this double-elimination tournament, which matches coed adult teams in a daylong extravaganza of good plays, big laughs, and a few sore muscles at the end.
We start bright and early with games beginning at 8 a.m., and the fun lasts all day, with our snack bar serving breakfast, lunch and snacks all day long. We'll take signups from both teams and individuals. If you want to enter an entire team, the cost is just $300 for up to 15 players ($20 per person more for each person over 15), while individual entries are just $20. Everyone is guaranteed at least two games on our great Cadman ballfields, and everyone goes home with one of our beautiful limited edition souvenir T-shirts.
Here is your chance to show your kids you can put your money where your mouth is regarding all the tips you've been giving them all season. Or, more likely, here's the chance for your kids to get some good quality entertainment, as they watch you try to "get that glove down," "swing level," and "run that out!"
Look for more information to go out to each team around the beginning of May, but if you have a team to enter or want to sign up as an individual, contact Ken Cicalo at KenC1313@yahoo.com or 619-889-9216. You can also contact Bill Salonius at 619-208-2522.
April 15 Fowler Park
Big Fun at USD!
What a fun day for our Hilltoppers kids and families at the USD-St. Mary's game on April 16.
While USD lost a lopsided game, they were wonderful hosts as always, and big thanks to the coaches, players and staff who were so accommodating and generous to our kids. Hilltoppers players got to go down on the field for the pregame ceremony, throw out the first pitch, be batboys for the day, get a tour through the lockeroom and clubhouse areas, win raffles and introduce a USD batter over the P.A.
But congratulations to St. Mary's, who was paced by former Hilltoppers Ken Waldichuk on the mound, with Ken picking up his 6th win of the season. Scattering five hits over 6-2/3 innings, Ken walked just one while striking out six, continuing a dominating stretch of quality starts this season.
After the game, Ken and St. Mary's Head Coach Eric Valenzuela met with some of our kids, giving them great, encouraging messages, in addition to signing autographs and taking pictures. All in all, a great day to be a Hilltopper!
Saturday, April 7, Best Western Seven Seas
|Our final table!|
Another Poker Tourney Flush With Fun!
Our 15th annual Hilltoppers Poker Tournament on Saturday, April 7, was again a huge success and a great night out with our Hilltoppers family.
Superbly hosted once again by the fine folks at the Best Western Seven Seas in Hotel Circle, we had dozens Hilltoppers parents, coaches, friends and alumni show up for an evening's entertainment. Many thanks to our fine dealers who worked tirelessly through the event, thanks to our other volunteer staff for checking people in, handling sales and selling our huge 50-50 raffle tickets. Thanks to dave Pursel for all the setup of our sound system and playing DJ all night And especially thanks to the generous folks who turned out for this evening of fun in support of Clairemont Hilltoppers.
Former Hilltopper parent Dave Wascher walked away with our grand prize – 4 field level Padres tickets and a $100 gift card to Karl Strauss. Other winners included Hilltopper coaches Mike Kelly, Justin Pallamary and Mike Sousa, and our District Administrator Lisa LaPage. Hilltopper parent John Hedley was the big winner of our 50-50 raffle drawing.
We were pleased to have not only lots of returning players (including seven former championds), but tons of new players as well. If you missed it this year, be sure to look for our 16th annual tournament in April of 2019!
Every Monday in April
|Print out this coupon!|
Jersey Mike's Mondays
Every Monday in April is Hilltoppers Day at Jersey Mike's. Both Clairemont locations (7420 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., and 5657 Balboa Ave.) are offering 20% of all sales to those who bring in a copy of the flyer shown here.
Stop by for lunch, take the family out to dinner, or bring the whole team after a game or practice. Both locations are open from 10 a.m.-8 p.m. every Monday.
Have a great sandwich and support Clairemont Hilltoppers!
Through games of April 14, 2018
Won Lost Tie
Jersey Mike's Padres 7 2 1
Pacific Sun Padres 7 3
50 North Yachts Padres 5 3
Poiset & Associates Padres 4 4
Fast Times Padres 3 4
Troy's Restaurant Padres 4 5
Sempra Energy Padres 3 5 1
San Diego Madres Padres 1 8
Opening Day... Sort Of
Well, things certainly didn't go as planned on Saturday, March 3rd, but we are grateful we got in our Opening Ceremonies and T-Ball games in the morning, before the rains washed away the rest of the day.
Thanks to all the volunteers who worked so hard to get us ready for the start of our 62nd season, and thanks to all our guests who helped make Opening Day special: New Era singers for the national anthem, Cub Scout Pack 299 for our color guard, Balboa Car Wash for being our new scoreboard sponsor, the Pad Squad and Friar, our ballplayers from USD, Judy and Bill Salonius and families for all the years of dedication, Nathan Simas for the new helmet and bat racks.
Thanks also to all of our fine sponsors who allow us to keep our league humming along and fields looking great. Thanks to Katie Jennings for being our MC yesterday, and to Dave Pursel for all of the endless work setting up our scoreboard and sound systems.
It was great to see our 4- and 5-year-olds out first thing in the morning, making their Little League debuts. Nothing reminds of what is important about Little League more than watching our T-Ballers experience the joy and fun of playing on our ballfields. As move into the rest of our season, let's all keep that feeling of anticipation and pure love of playing with our friends with us through the rest of the year.
Schedules Are Here!
Click on the Handout below for game schedules for all of our divisions – T-Ball, Rookie, Farm, Minors, Intermediate and Juniors, along with rules for most divisions.
Handout: 2018 Schedules
All New For 2018
Don't Buy A Bat Until You Read This
If a new bat is on your baseball player’s wish list, there are some important things you may want to think about before making your purchase this year.
Beginning on January 1, 2018, Little League began using a new standard established by USA Baseball, and the previous rules will no longer be the standard for Little League-approved baseball bats. Baseball bats with the new USA Baseball label are available in stores now, for use in 2018, and any bats that were previously legal will not be allowed for use in 2018.
All of our teams this coming season will have at least one legal "team bat" provided by the league, so no parent should feel obligated to buy their child a new bat, but if your son or daughter is going to have their own bat, you do need to ensure it's legal for use.
For more information on the new bat standard, and to know if your bat will be allowed, visit LittleLeague.org/batinfo.
|Serving The Kids of Clairemont Since 1957!|
Why Play Clairemont Hilltoppers?
As part of the oldest and largest youth sports organization in history, Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League is proud to offer the finest experience possible for the youth of Clairemont.
For 75 years, the name "Little League" has been the most respected and recognized brand in all of youth sports. Now entering our 62nd year, Clairemont Hilltoppers represents that brand as both the longest-running youth organization in Clairemont, and also its only Little League program. Over 20,000 boys and girls have passed through the Hilltoppers program since 1957, and we take special pride in the number of second- and third-generation players in our league.
Clairemont Hilltoppers had well over 300 kids playing ball in our Spring 2017 season, and we continue to find new ways to bring fun, safety, competition and life lessons to every child who joins our program.
Here are just a few of the reasons for our growth and popularity:
• We offer divisions for kids of every age. Little League has teams for youth from 4- to 16-years-old. Any child who will be 4-years-old by August 31, 2018 is eligible to start in our T-Ball program. And, while many leagues end when players are 12-14-years-old, Clairemont Hilltoppers offers teenage divisions in the 13-14 & 15-16 age groups in 2018.
• Reasonable costs. With many families facing challenging economic times, we have long made a commitment to make playing Little League affordable for everyone who wishes to play. Our registration fee for 2018 is just $68, the lowest of any youth sports league in town. We also ask participation in our fundraiser, selling 50 candy bars or making a $60 buyout. Plus, if you sell 75 candy bars, your registration fee is just $48! If you sell the candy, the fundraiser has a net cost to you of nothing, and you really can place your child in a full season of 20+ Little League games (plus all the associated fun and activities) for a net cost of just $48!
• Developing neighborhood and community relationships. With so many families living such busy lives, and sending kids to schools and activities in other parts of town, it's sometimes difficult to even get to know your neighbors. At Clairemont Hilltoppers, though, it's all about Clairemont. All of our players live within the community. We only advertise in our community. Most of our sponsors are in the community. We plan fundraisers within our community. The bonds that develop as kids and parents make friends in their neighborhood often last for a lifetime.
• Safety, training and education priorities. Little League has always been the leader in safety, and Clairemont Hilltoppers believes in that model. All of our managers and coaches are taught to make the safety of our children the number one concern. From our leaguewide ASAP Safety Plan, to mandatory background checks for every league volunteer, to continuing training programs for our coaches and umpires, our league will never take shortcuts on keeping our players out of harm's way. Our coaches and umpires are given rules and skills training on a regular basis, and our annual Parent Orientation is designed to make all parents part of the solution, rather than the problem, for our program.
• The Little League World Series. Certainly no event in youth sports is more recognized around the world. Each year, ABC and ESPN televise over 70 games in the various Little League All-Star tournaments. Not only is this an exciting summer tradition, but it gives Little League exposure to kids in every part of the country and in dozens of countries around the world. In addition to the World Series for the 11-12-year-old division in Williamsport, championship games in all of the teenage and softball divisions are also televised. Excitement has been high in Southern California recently, as two recent United States Champions (Park View Little League and Eastlake Little League) have come from our area. Every year, Clairemont Hilltoppers places teams in the All-Star tournaments. You can't get to the Little League World Series unless you sign up for Little League!
• Great fun activities for our parents. We strive very hard to bring fun beyond just the practices and games... and some of it is for the adults. Every year we have a great fundraiser dinner & auction at a local restaurant , an adult coed softball tournament, a trip to a USD game, a poker tournament, Little League Day at a Padres game, and more. And, we're always looking for new ways to get together for some fun.
We know that families have lots of choices when it comes to their kids' activities. If you choose to join us at Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League, please know that we will be doing everything we can to make that the best decision possible!
Support CHLL in 2018
Sponsorship Forms Are Here!
If you are one of our esteemed returning sponsors and you need the forms to renew for this year, are a first timer, or it's been a while since you have taken advantage of our sponsorship opportunities, the forms are located here for your convenience. Simply download and print the forms and email or mail them in.
If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Jennings, our sponsorship coordinator at 858-336-1595 or firstname.lastname@example.org@pacbell.net.
Thank you for 62 years of support to Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League.
Handout: 2018 Sponsorship Forms
Clairemont Hilltoppers Hall of Fame
Named as Charter Members were 17 individuals whose achievements, contributions and leadership will forever be recognized with this honor. A few others have been added since. A permanent plaque listing the names of all original and subsequent Hall of Famers hangs in our scorebooth building.
Following are the Inductees along with year named:
• Frank Adams (2006)
• Ron Conkle (2006)
• Ken Henderson (2006)
• Tom Franklin (2006)
• John Adams (2006)
• Link Lincavage (2006)
• Harold McCoy (2006)
• Jim Gerstenslager (2006)
• Dave Stephenson (2006)
• Mike Winters (2006)
• Dave Bermudes (2006)
• George Kovacevich (2006)
• Bill Salonius (2006)
• Jeanne Morrow (2006)
• Cesar Carmona (2006)
• Dave Pursel (2006)
• Mike Van Cleave (2006)
• Steve Conner (2008)
• Judy Salonius (2011)
• Ken Cicalo (2011)
• Kyle Holder (2015)
These members are recognized for their contributions in one or more of these four categories: Inspirational, Leadership, Volunteer and Special Recognition. Future members will be selected by a committee of current and former Hilltoppers.
Congratulations to all of these Hall of Famers, and many thanks for all you have meant to Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League.
Click on the link below to see our page and become a Fan!
Stay connected with Hilltoppers on Facebook!