Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League: Welcome
Sunday, February 1
Saturday, February 24
Get your hair cut, wash that uniform and find your hat!
You'll want to be looking your best on Saturday, February 24 because it's Picture Day! Make sure you arrive 20 minutes prior to your scheduled time to be sure we get everyone in the team picture. You'll need to fill out a photo order envelope for each player (whether you are buying additional pictures or not). Envelopes will be available at Picture Day.
Here is the complete schedule for all teams, listed by manager name. The photos will be taken on the grass area west of the children's playground at Cadman Park. The backdrop of Mission Bay will be as dramatic as always. Don't miss out on these great memories!
8:30 a.m. – Intermediate Van Cleave
8:30 a.m. – Intermediate Cicalo
8:30 a.m. – Farm McGinty
8:50 a.m. – Intermediate Pallamary
8:50 a.m. – Intermediate Kaplan
8:50 a.m. – Intermediate Grffiths
9:10 a.m. – Juniors Iniguez
9:10 a.m. – Minors McKewan
9:10 a.m. – Minors Hemmerly
9:30 a.m. – Minors Gutierrez
9:30 a.m. – Minors da Luz
9:30 a.m. – Minors Castillo
9:50 a.m. – Minors Batchelor
9:50 a.m. – Farm Thompson
9:50 a.m. – Farm Slay
10:10 a.m. – Farm Myers
10:10 a.m. – Farm Meyer
10:10 a.m. – Farm Hamrick
10:30 a.m. – Farm Haffner
10:30 a.m. – Farm Bandera
10:30 a.m. – Rookie Temple
10:50 a.m. – Rookie Moss
10:50 a.m. – Rookie Heeney
10:50 a.m. – Rookie Destefani
11:10 a.m. – T-Ball Uhren
11:10 a.m. – T-Ball Stephenson
11:10 a.m. – T-Ball Speidel
11:30 a.m. – T-Ball Powers
11:30 a.m. – T-Ball Lukens
11:30 a.m. – T-Ball Frank
11:50 a.m. – T-Ball Fong
11:50 a.m. – T-Ball Benham
If you have questions about your child's picture time or what to bring on that day, contact your team's manager or team parent.
Tuesday, February 20
If you are new to scorekeeping, but are interested in helping your child's team with this important task this season, there is a great opportunity to get training. If you've done it a lower level, but are wanting to learn the additional tasks in your child's new division this year, or, if you are an experienced scorekeeper but could just use a refresher, this clinic will be for you, too.
Tuesday, February 20 at 6:30 p.m., one of the best scorekeepers in our district will be holding a clinic for those planning to keep score this year. The clinic will go over all the basics, talk about the things that need to be tracked in each division, and will be a great way to get informed about the position. Scorekeepers will learn how to maintain a scorebook, work with umpires, manage substitutions and properly mark all possible plays.
The clinic will be held in the Alcott Elementary library, and should last about 90 minutes.
It's Almost Here!
After all the weeks of planning, practicing and anticipation, it's just about time to start playing some games!
Opening Day on Saturday, March 3 will once again be a great way to begin the 62nd season of Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League.
From the start of the T-Ball games at 7:45 a.m., to the last out of the final game in the afternoon, big smiles will be in plentiful supply at Cadman Park.
This is always such a fun day, and we have lots of things planned to make it memorable again. We're looking forward to some great jumpers for the kids, a special lunch deal from Spice & Soul restaurant, and ballgames all day.
Our ceremonies will begin at 9 a.m., but be sure to arrive early to find parking and get your players lined up with their teams for our Parade of Teams. Our ceremony will last just an hour, but will feature great music, special guests, a free raffle for the kids, and all the usual pageantry that makes Opening Day special.
The day before (Friday, March 2) we will be at Cadman for one final work party, as we strive to have our fields their bright and sparkly best for the next day. If you have any time that afternoon to help us get your park ready, please come out and grab a broom or rake.
Once again this year, we will be holding our annual Fundraiser Dinner at Fast Times Restaurant, 3065 Clairemont Dr. (in the remodeled Sprouts shopping center). This year's dinner is from 6-9 p.m. on Saturday, March 10.
Every year over 100 Hilltopper parents, coaches, friends and alumni come out for this fun evening of good food, good people, good music and great prizes. With lots of raffles, and silent and live auctions, everyone in attendance has the chance to go home with a prize. This year's dinner will also feature, for the first time, Team Baskets, as all of the teams in our league compete to see whose basket goes for top dollar, winning a team pizza party for the child's ballclub. Raffle and auction items are sure to include dinner certificates, sporting events, household items, sports memorabilia, and some special Hilltopper prizes.
All of the proceeds from this evening go straight to our league, so invite your friends, relatives and neighbors. Tickets are on sale now, and will be available at Picture Day on February 24 and on Opening Day on March 3. Space is limited, however, so don't procrastinate. For more information, you can contact Fundraiser Dinner chair Michelle Jennings at 858-336-1595 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don't Buy A Bat Until You Read This
If a new bat is on your baseball player’s wish list, there are some important things you may want to think about before making your purchase this year.
Beginning on January 1, 2018, Little League began using a new standard established by USA Baseball, and the previous rules will no longer be the standard for Little League-approved baseball bats. Baseball bats with the new USA Baseball label are available in stores now, for use in 2018, and any bats that were previously legal will not be allowed for use in 2018.
All of our teams this coming season will have at least one legal "team bat" provided by the league, so no parent should feel obligated to buy their child a new bat, but if your son or daughter is going to have their own bat, you do need to ensure it's legal for use.
For more information on the new bat standard, and to know if your bat will be allowed, visit LittleLeague.org/batinfo.
Special Pricing For Padres CampSan Diego Padres Baseball Camp will be coming to La Jolla in 2018, and they are giving friends and family of Clairemont Hilltoppers an exclusive $75 discount on the cost of enrollment! The weeklong camp will take place June 18-22 at Cliffridge Park.
To access this exclusive promotion and to learn more about this incredible week of baseball, please see the flyer in the Handout below. Be sure to act fast, as camps fill up quickly, and the promotion is only available for a limited time!
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact San Diego Padres Baseball Camp via telephone (619-213-1600) or email (email@example.com
Handout: Padres Camp
Save at Charlie Rose
If you're looking to save a little money on things your child will need for this season, Charlie Rose has some coupons that can do just that for you.
The sporting goods store, located at 9353 Clairemont Mesa Blvd., is offering $10 off a $50 purchase or $20 off a $100 purchase. They will also offer free socks and belts with purchase of baseball pants, along with 20% off the price of the new "USA Baseball"-approved. bats.
Just print out the coupons in the handout below and bring them in for your savings.
Handout: Charlie Rose
Save at Big 5
If you're looking to save a little money on things your child will need for this season, Big 5 has some coupons that can do just that for you.
The sporting goods store, located at 4838 Convoy St., is offering 10-20% off on gloves, bats, cleats and pants, along with 10% off any single item.
Just print out the coupons in the handout below and bring them in for your savings.
Handout: Big 5
|Serving The Kids of Clairemont Since 1957!|
Why Play Clairemont Hilltoppers?
As part of the oldest and largest youth sports organization in history, Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League is proud to offer the finest experience possible for the youth of Clairemont.
For 75 years, the name "Little League" has been the most respected and recognized brand in all of youth sports. Now entering our 62nd year, Clairemont Hilltoppers represents that brand as both the longest-running youth organization in Clairemont, and also its only Little League program. Over 20,000 boys and girls have passed through the Hilltoppers program since 1957, and we take special pride in the number of second- and third-generation players in our league.
Clairemont Hilltoppers had well over 300 kids playing ball in our Spring 2017 season, and we continue to find new ways to bring fun, safety, competition and life lessons to every child who joins our program.
Here are just a few of the reasons for our growth and popularity:
• We offer divisions for kids of every age. Little League has teams for youth from 4- to 16-years-old. Any child who will be 4-years-old by August 31, 2018 is eligible to start in our T-Ball program. And, while many leagues end when players are 12-14-years-old, Clairemont Hilltoppers offers teenage divisions in the 13-14 & 15-16 age groups in 2018.
• Reasonable costs. With many families facing challenging economic times, we have long made a commitment to make playing Little League affordable for everyone who wishes to play. Our registration fee for 2018 is just $68, the lowest of any youth sports league in town. We also ask participation in our fundraiser, selling 50 candy bars or making a $60 buyout. Plus, if you sell 75 candy bars, your registration fee is just $48! If you sell the candy, the fundraiser has a net cost to you of nothing, and you really can place your child in a full season of 20+ Little League games (plus all the associated fun and activities) for a net cost of just $48!
• Developing neighborhood and community relationships. With so many families living such busy lives, and sending kids to schools and activities in other parts of town, it's sometimes difficult to even get to know your neighbors. At Clairemont Hilltoppers, though, it's all about Clairemont. All of our players live within the community. We only advertise in our community. Most of our sponsors are in the community. We plan fundraisers within our community. The bonds that develop as kids and parents make friends in their neighborhood often last for a lifetime.
• Safety, training and education priorities. Little League has always been the leader in safety, and Clairemont Hilltoppers believes in that model. All of our managers and coaches are taught to make the safety of our children the number one concern. From our leaguewide ASAP Safety Plan, to mandatory background checks for every league volunteer, to continuing training programs for our coaches and umpires, our league will never take shortcuts on keeping our players out of harm's way. Our coaches and umpires are given rules and skills training on a regular basis, and our annual Parent Orientation is designed to make all parents part of the solution, rather than the problem, for our program.
• The Little League World Series. Certainly no event in youth sports is more recognized around the world. Each year, ABC and ESPN televise over 70 games in the various Little League All-Star tournaments. Not only is this an exciting summer tradition, but it gives Little League exposure to kids in every part of the country and in dozens of countries around the world. In addition to the World Series for the 11-12-year-old division in Williamsport, championship games in all of the teenage and softball divisions are also televised. Excitement has been high in Southern California recently, as two recent United States Champions (Park View Little League and Eastlake Little League) have come from our area. Every year, Clairemont Hilltoppers places teams in the All-Star tournaments. You can't get to the Little League World Series unless you sign up for Little League!
• Great fun activities for our parents. We strive very hard to bring fun beyond just the practices and games... and some of it is for the adults. Every year we have a great fundraiser dinner & auction at a local restaurant , an adult coed softball tournament, a trip to a USD game, a poker tournament, Little League Day at a Padres game, and more. And, we're always looking for new ways to get together for some fun.
We know that families have lots of choices when it comes to their kids' activities. If you choose to join us at Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League, please know that we will be doing everything we can to make that the best decision possible!
Named as Charter Members were 17 individuals whose achievements, contributions and leadership will forever be recognized with this honor. A few others have been added since. A permanent plaque listing the names of all original and subsequent Hall of Famers hangs in our scorebooth building.
Following are the Inductees along with year named:
• Frank Adams (2006)
• Ron Conkle (2006)
• Ken Henderson (2006)
• Tom Franklin (2006)
• John Adams (2006)
• Link Lincavage (2006)
• Harold McCoy (2006)
• Jim Gerstenslager (2006)
• Dave Stephenson (2006)
• Mike Winters (2006)
• Dave Bermudes (2006)
• George Kovacevich (2006)
• Bill Salonius (2006)
• Jeanne Morrow (2006)
• Cesar Carmona (2006)
• Dave Pursel (2006)
• Mike Van Cleave (2006)
• Steve Conner (2008)
• Judy Salonius (2011)
• Ken Cicalo (2011)
• Kyle Holder (2015)
These members are recognized for their contributions in one or more of these four categories: Inspirational, Leadership, Volunteer and Special Recognition. Future members will be selected by a committee of current and former Hilltoppers.
Congratulations to all of these Hall of Famers, and many thanks for all you have meant to Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League.
Sponsorship Forms Are Here!
If you are one of our esteemed returning sponsors and you need the forms to renew for this year, are a first timer, or it's been a while since you have taken advantage of our sponsorship opportunities, the forms are located here for your convenience. Simply download and print the forms and email or mail them in.
If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Jennings, our sponsorship coordinator at 858-336-1595 or firstname.lastname@example.org@pacbell.net.
Thank you for 62 years of support to Clairemont Hilltoppers Little League.
Handout: 2018 Sponsorship Forms
|Tue 2/20||Score Keeping Clinic||6:30 PM - 8:30 PM||Alcott Park|
|Sat 2/24||Picture Day||8:00 AM - 2:00 PM||Cadman Park|
|Sat 3/3||Opening Day||7:30 AM - 5:00 PM||Cadman Park|
|Sat 3/10||Annual Fundraiser Dinner||6:00 PM - 9:00 PM||Fast Times Restaurant|