Carlisle Soccer: Herd News

Monday, October 27
West scores hat trick to knock off top seed
West scores hat trick to knock off top seed

Sunday, October 26, 2008
For The Patriot-News

Apparently, Chase West and his soccer-playing Carlisle teammates took an awfully long look at the District 3-AAA playoff bracket and the seeds attached to each entry.

Especially the number that accompanied the Thundering Herd into the two-week tournament and the brighter, shinier digit Red Land lugged into Hersheypark Stadium.

"We had nothing to lose," West, the explosive Carlisle senior striker said afterwards.

"We were the ninth seed playing against No. 1. All the pressure was on them. We just had to come in and play our game. Hopefully, it worked out -- and it did."

West scored three second-half goals Saturday night as the Herd rumbled past their Mid-Penn Commonwealth Division playmates 4-2, securing a berth in the District 3-AAA semifinals for the first time since 1989. Or, a year before West checked into humanity.

Up next for Brandon Eiserman's club, which won its ninth straight, is a return to Hersheypark Stadium for Wednesday's semifinals and a date (7:30 p.m.) with No. 13 Exeter, a 1-0 winner over Wilson.

Brandon Arvey and Michael Urich netted goals for Red Land (18-4), which finished second in last year's 3-AAA tournament and advanced to states.

"Devastating loss," said Red Land skipper Eric "Chalkie" White, whose club defeated the Herd twice during the regular season.

"This is big," West said. "We lost twice before. And then, when it counts, we stepped up to the occasion and got the W."

A hard-earned W.

 Spotting the possession-driven Patriots an early lead when the hard-nosed Arvey turned a Tyler Fettrow delivery into a 1-0 advantage just 1:47 in, West nearly pulled the Herd even a few minutes later. However, his rip was detoured by the left post and Andrew Innerst.

Arvey had a terrific chance at the 8:00 mark, but acrobatic keeper Brice Merwine (4 saves) prevented the Herd from falling deeper in arrears. Merwine also made another splendid stop on Arvey just before halftime, but the situation was much different by then.

Some 12 minutes earlier, Anders Gratrud evened the score, nodding in a lengthy Brennan Zizzi service that blasted off just inside the midfield stripe.

"They believed they could win," Eiserman said. "Little worried after that first goal [came] quickly into the game, even came out a little flat after the goal, but we got back into it when we got that goal. It was an all-in-all great effort by everybody. ... Chase was just a stud."

Particularly after the break.

Able to link up with Gratrud and generate plenty of space by separating Red Land center backs Taylor Eisenhauer and Logan Henke from their teammates -- which slowed the Patriots possession -- the Herd duo certainly took advantage when the ball cycled their way.

Plus, the Herd had stopper back Brewster Tisson locked on Fettrow, preventing Red Land's target from posting up or playing distributor.

"Our style of play is high pressure and the forwards start to pressure the center backs," West said. "When we pressure, they normally play balls into the middle where we can team up and counter."

West broke the 1-1 deadlock at the 6:41 mark, converting from just outside the area despite the presence of Henke and converging keeper Ben Diller (2 saves). Then, after Urich slipped a header past Merwine a minute later, Diller flagged down another West laser.

West shattered the tie for good with 15:39 gone, capping a scramble that Diller tried to defuse from his knees by punching the ball out of the box. West polished off the hat trick with 6:23 to go, teaming with Gratrud on another counter to put the Patriots away and move forward.

"Three out of four chances to make it to states," said Eiserman, who adroitly eluded a total soaking by players Adam Mogill and Nic Newcomer afterwards. "Can't beat that. Pretty good odds.

"We've just go to come out, take it game by game and hopefully continue to play like we have been."

Sunday, October 26
Survival by any means - Carlisle advances to the Semi-Finals

Survival by any means

Carlisle stuns top seed; advances to district semifinals.

HERSHEY — In sports, it’s always tough to beat a team three times in the same season.

Red Land, which captured two wins against Carlisle in the regular season, entered its game at Hersheypark Stadium on Saturday night as the top seed in the District 3 Class AAA bracket and was expected to win the game.

Someone forgot to tell that to Carlisle as the No. 9 seed Thundering Herd (16-5) parlayed three second-half goals from Chase West into a 4-2 victory.

Carlisle will move on to the district semifinals for the first time since 1989 when former Herd coach Jason Moyer was playing and the Herd won the district. None of the present Herd players were even born yet, making this new territory for the team.

Carlisle will play Exeter Township, a 1-0 winner over Wilson West Lawn on Saturday, at Hersheypark Stadium on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Of the four teams remaining, only three advance to the PIAA tournament next month.

“This was big. We lost to Red Land twice already and we won the one that counted,” West said. “We have been playing like a team recently instead of as individuals and we have really come together.

“We rose to the occasion tonight. We had nothing to lose. They are the top seed and all of the pressure is on them. We could just come in and play.”

Red Land (18-4) jumped out quickly as Brandon Arvey tokk a feed from teammate Tyler Fettrow and sent a high shot off Carlisle keeper Brice Merwine’s hands and into the net for the goal not even two minutes into the contest.

The Herd’s defense spent the entire game clearing balls and starting the offense. Nathan Shimandle, Tyler Getz, Robert Gilroy and, especially, Brewster Tisson, whose job was to mark Fettrow, back-stopped the Herd but it took a sterling effort from Merwine to wrap up the contest.

“Brice (Merwine) is the backbone of our team,” West said. “ If we didn’t have him back there, it would be a whole different story.”

“Our defense has really come together this year,” Merwine said. ”If you look at last year, we only had a couple of shutouts. This year, we have about 13 shutouts. (officially the total is 12). They are trying to keep me bored — if I’m bored that means there are no goals. We were close both games and we knew we could beat them.”

“They are playing well at the right time,” Herd coach Brandon Eiserman said. “They believed they could win and I was a little worried after that first goal and then we came out a little flat after the goal. It was an all-around a great effort from everybody. Chase was just a stud tonight. At the beginning of the game, our fullbacks had to sort out Fettrow and they finally straightened that out and Brewster did a great job on him. Brice has been the one constant for us all season.”

West’s blast off a corner was past Patriot keeper Ben Diller but the ball hit the post and cleared by Andrew Innerst.

Merwine robbed Arvey six minutes later as he made a diving save headed to the near post.

Carlisle tied the game later in the half as Brennan Zizzi lofted a ball on a restart and found the head of Anders Gratrud who nodded it past Diller as he came off his line.

Herd Advance
Friday, October 24
Herd advances to District 3-AAA quarterfinals
District 3 Boys' Soccer

Carlisle shuts down Mechanicsburg in D3 soccer

Herd advances to District 3-AAA quarterfinals

By Jeffrey Kauffman, Sentinel Reporter, Oct. 24, 2008

Last updated: Friday, October 24, 2008 7:20 AM EDT
Carlisle and Mechanicsburg met in the finals of the Mechanicsburg Booster Club Tournament at the beginning of the season. That game went to penalty kicks with the Herd outscoring the Wildcats 11-10 on the kicks.

Carlisle made short work of the Wildcats on Thursday night in a 3-0 win in the first round of the District 3-AAA boys’ soccer tournament.

Now the Thundering Herd takes on No. 1 seed Red Land on Saturday at Hersheypark Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

While the score may have been different, both teams were physical again and both had scoring chances. Carlisle’s Nathan Shimandle and Tyler Getz led the Herd defense, while it was Garret Murphy and Scott Inderbitzen for Mechanicsburg.

Carlisle had the best opportunity early as Trevor Shull broke in on the left flank and ripped a shot that was blocked by Alex Holbert. The rebound came out and Chase West ripped a blast that short-hopped keeper Kyle green. He was able to pounce on it before the Herd was able to do some damage.

Moments later, the Herd jumped in front as Tyler Shimandle fed a through-ball to West. His cross from the right baseline bounded off Green and freshman Eddie Metzger was able to tap it home for his first varsity goal this year.

Norwegian forward Anders Gratrud had the opportunity to put the Herd up two goals in the final minute of the half but his rip clanked off the goalpost.

Andrew Bohn had a chance at the other at the other end in the final seconds but his shot was speared by Herd keeper Brice Merwine.

Mechanicsburg (11-9) came out in the second half with some intensity and created a couple of chances. Merwine was in the right spot for two shots and the Wildcats helped him out by fanning on another shot and blasting one over the top from 10 feet.

“It got a little nerve-wracking in the second half as they came out flying,” said Herd coach Brandon Eiserman. “We knew it was going to be a good game because of the first one. The kids battled hard tonight. Nathan is again playing well and Getz has played well all season. That was our 10th shutout this year. We talked before the game that the goalie didn’t have the best hands and we needed to follow our shots. We got (three) goals tonight and could have had another. Anders (Gratrud) is a battler. He has played with some injuries and he gives it his all. We wouldn’t be here without him this year.”

Carlisle (15-5) finally added a second goal but it got some help from the Wildcats again. A misplay allowed West to run onto a ball and he fed a through ball to Gratrud who used the outside of the foot to drill it into the far corner.

Less than three minutes later, Dexter Lamparter ripped a low laser that deflected off of Green’s hands and Gratrud was right there on the follow to extend the margin to three goals.

“This win was huge,” said Lamparter. “We are looking forward to Red Land. They really came out and we were playing iffy. When we finally settled down and played our game, we possessed the ball better. We can’t play a kick and run game. We don’t have the speed other than Chase. We need to control the ball and move it around. Eddie was in the right place at the right time. Nathan was outstanding as he continues to win those head balls in the back. I don’t know what we would do without Brice back there.”

“The kids really battled hard tonight,” said Wildcat head coach Tony Lougee. “We had some chances but we didn’t put any of them away. I thought that our defense played very well. Hutch (Cort Hutchinson) did a great job out there tonight. It was tough playing from behind. It would have been interesting to have Matt Steele tonight. He was injured in the first couple of minutes and never returned. He is the engine of this team. I had to move some players around to try to replace him. We had a lot of sophomores out there tonight in the second half.”

“The kids are looking forward to playing Red Land,” added Eiserman. “We lost 2-0 and 3-2 in overtime. Our kids know they can compete with them and want another shot at them.”



Carlisle 1 2 -3

Mechanicsburg 0 0 -0

First half

C- Eddie Metzger, assist Chase West, 20:57

Second half

C- Anders Gratrud, assist West, 69:33

C- Gratrud, assist Dexter Lamparter, 72:40

Corners: C- 6; M-2

Shots: C- 7; M- 5

Saves: C- 5(Brice Merwine 5); M- 4(Kyle Green 4)

Tuesday, October 21
Thundering Herd moves on!!

Thursday, October 9
Lamparter lifts Carlisle over CV 1-0

Friday, September 19
Eagles take Rivalry Game in Double overtime

Friday, September 5
Red Land over Carlisle

Sunday, August 31
Down to the bitter end - Carlisle beats Mechanicsburg
Down to the bitter end

Carlisle wins Mechanicsburg Boosters Tournament

By Jeffrey Kauffman, Aug. 31 2008

Last updated: Sunday, August 31, 2008 12:50 AM EDT
Four local high school soccer teams converged on the Northside complex Saturday and all were looking for answers to the upcoming season. The 11th Annual Mechanicsburg Soccer Boosters Tournament gave Trinity, Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, and Carlisle the opportunity to play twice and see where they stand for the early part of the season.

In the end, it was Carlisle stepping up to win the final 3-2 by converting on 11 penalty kicks against Mechanicsburg, as Bryce Merwine came up with a huge save on the 12th kick and got to watch senior captain Tyler Getz convert his to give the Herd the win. The actual score would have been listed 2-2(11-10) but has changed in recent years to one goal so it was 3-2 (PK’S)

The first eight shooters for each team scored on well-placed shots. Goalkeepers for both teams got fingertips on four shots, but each was hit hard enough to go into the net.

Mechanicsburg scorers were Matt Steele, Jon DeNicola, Austin Martz, Cort Hutchison, Matt Warren, Garret Murphy, Craig Foer and Scott Inderbitzen.

Carlisle scorers were West, Getz, Dexter Lamparter, Merwine, Trevor Shull, Billy Zahos, Macon Walker and Ari Brouwer.

Sean Swidersky’s blast hit the corner of the crossbar but Kyle Green was able to save the shot of Robert Gilroy to move his team into the 10th shooter. David Strausbaugh hit for the Wildcats and Tyler Shimandle equaled the match. Steele and West each scored a second time to set the stage for Merwine’s save and Getz’s winner.

In the final, Chase West gave the Herd a quick one-goal lead as he ripped a laser off the bottom of the crossbar only 22 seconds into the contest. Both teams had several other key chances in the first ten minutes but goalies Shane Cowoski of the Wildcats and Bryce Merwine were up to the task for their teams.

Brennan Zizzi gave the Herd a two-goal advantage as his blast deflected off a defender and past Cowoski in the final three minutes of the half.

Both teams dug in for the physical second half with the Herd trying to fight off the speed of the Wildcats. A Herd mistake gave the maroon squad life as a clear from the goal line appeared to hit off the back of the Herd keeper and bound into the goal for an own goal.

Mechanicsburg appeared to be quicker to the ball while the Herd appeared to be waiting for help rather than attacking the ball. The Wildcats finally got the equalizer in the final four minutes as the Herd failed to clear a ball from the penalty area and Craig Foer was able to slot one into the corner.

“It was a great game, especially of halves,” added Herd coach Brandon Eiserman. “We played well in the first half and then we gave them a goal in the second half and they got the momentum and they were a bit fitter than us. The kids gave it all they had. Some guys played a lot and we left home at 7:30 so it has been a long day. I thought we showed a lot of guts. Bryce made a big save-he guessed right on 9 out of 11 but the kids put on a shooting clinic by hitting the side net. I thought Bryce played great, Zizzi and Dexter played well along with Tyler. Everybody played well for two games today and now we have to continue playing well.

“As a team, We played really well and played together today. This was a turnaround hopefully for the year. We got a big help from our younger guys, “said Getz. “This will be different this year. Last year we won the tournament but struggled as a team after that.”

Cowoski had a solid wall in front of him as well as Hutchison, Murphy, Scott Inderbitzen and Foer cleared everything out of the backfield.

“I was very happy with our play today We showed a lot of character and we got a chance to get some of our younger kids a chance to learn today,” added Mechanicsburg coach Tony Lougee. “Steele played fantastic and Garret Murphy played great. I think all of our kids played well. We get John Arnold back this week and we got some playing time for some of our younger kids and kids who didn’t play a lot last year.”

Mechanicsburg won the opener 4-0 over Trinity and the Herd outlasted a physical Camp Hill squad 2-0 in the morning games. Trevor Shull and Chase West tallied goals for the Herd. Trinity rallied from a 1-0 deficit to score two goals including a penalty kick from Derek Pawlush and a score from Scott Sajak to grab a 2-1 victory over the Lions in the consolation game. Brad Smith nodded home a Ben Danowitz dish for the Lion tally. It was the first of at least three contests between the two teams this season.

Notes: The all-tournament team was announced. They included: Alex Hogarth, Stephen Breuning, Derek Pawlush and Scott Sajac of Trinity, Ian Nisley, Brad Smith, Nick Kline, and Brandon Woodward of Camp Hill. Murphy, Foer, Jon DeNicola and Tyler Bohn of Mechanicsburg and West, Getz, Merwine and Lamparter of Carlisle.

Sunday, August 31
2008 Boys Soccer Preview Capsules

Wednesday, October 17
Red Land vs Carlisle

Thursday, September 27
Cramers goal gets Trojans started in Second half against Carlisle

Sunday, September 23
High School Boys' Soccer: Carlisle escapes in OT

Wednesday, September 19
CV vs Carlisle

Sunday, September 2
2007 Carlisle Thundering Herd

Sunday, October 15

Wednesday, September 27
Aaron Whestone left, tangles with Jean Carlo Jimenez (12) of Chambersburg as they both try to control the ball Tuesday

Friday, September 22
Carlisle vs CV

Friday, September 22
Dave Fights till the end
Carlisle's Dave Meinhart(11) and Cumberland Valley's Jeremy Taylor struggle
for the ball during the game in New Kingstown Twp.

Wednesday, September 6
Trojans open season, stadium with 1-0 win over rival Herd
By ED GOTWALS Sports editor
Shaking the defense: Chambersburg’s Jean Carlo Jimenez ...

Tuesday, September 5
By Jeffrey Kauffman, September 3, 2006

HERSHEY - Carlisle traveled to HersheyPark Stadium for the fifth ...