Canyon Spring Cross Country & Track and Field: Welcome
BIG BEAR HIGH ALTITUDE CAMP
Our yearly Big Bear High Altitude Camp is held for a select number of the runners who participate in the summer program. Attendance at the summer program is required to be considered for an invitation. See the next section for all the criteria the coaching staff considers when making invitations. Please note: Big Bear Camp selection is a competitive process. Athletes who desire to go, among many other criteria, must be aware that they must prove a fitness level and/or running ability that is superior to others attending the summer program for consideration to be made.
Dates: July 24th - July 27th, 2017
Transportation: Transportation will be provided
Cost: $200 per Athlete (Room/Board/Meals) includes transportation fee
Camp Site: TBA (Big Bear California)
Camp Host: Moreno Valley Running Club
Food Donations: Parents if you are able to donate food items it would be greatly appreciated. The number of athletes attending the camp is significantly lower than past years and trip cost has increased.
Athletes: Approximately 7 boys and 7 girls.
Chaperones: All coaches and a number of parents.
Invitations will be made as early as possible
Refunds: refunds will be given for the following reasons:
Athlete is not able to attend and parent had personally spoken to a coach by July 1st, 2017.
Athlete has not participated in summer practices, and is not fit to participate.
Athlete has moved to a different school.
No-Refunds: refunds will not be given for the following reasons:
Athlete got in to trouble at home and will not attend the camp. If after July 1st no refund.
Injuries after July 1st due to playing other sports.
Plans have changed for family vacation: if after July 1st no refund.
WHAT DO THE COACHES LOOK FOR WHEN MAKING INVITATIONS? Listed in the general order of importance:
1. Practice Time – Returning athletes must demonstrate upon arrival to summer camp that they have been running during the summer and are fit! You should be at or beyond where it was at the end of track season. Athletes should be able to run 10-12 miles without any problems. Athletes should be able to handle two workouts per day.
2. ATTITUDE!!, ATTITUDE!!, and ATTITUDE!!-GOOD is GOOD, and BAD is BAD. We are looking for Good Attitudes
4. Long runs – Most of the runs we do in Big Bear are 60 minutes or longer in length and at high elevations. Runners MUST demonstrate strength on long runs before camp.
5. Running Ability-when compared to the rest of the team. If all else is equal between two athletes, greater talent will be considered.
6. GANAS – If a runner sacrifices their obvious ability to jog with a friend who is not as gifted, that runner won’t be invited.
7. ROLL CALL. Missed practices during the summer program will affect consideration, as will tardiness. If an athlete does not participate in summer practice they will not be able to attend High Altitude Camp and will not be invited.
8. Track anyone? A commitment to year-round running development is a consideration. Those who did not compete in track are generally chosen after those who did, all other things being equal.
What is NOT part of the consideration for a Big Bear invitation?
1. Longevity on the team. Over the years, there have been numerous seniors and some four year seniors who have not earned an invitation.
2. Varsity level experience. This camp is not just for Varsity but we would like to fill up the spots with Varsity athletes even though that might not be the case.
Payment Plan Option: In order to better prepare for summer high altitude camp we have decided to take early deposits for the summer camp starting January and all the way up and until July 1st. Due to early deposits and lodging cost we will not take any payments after July 1st, 2017. In the past we have taken camp fees up and to the day of the camp, but we have found it very difficult to make payments on time to cover all of our expenses. If you would like to take advantage of this early deposit opportunity please do so, you will find it easier to spread payments out for 6 months than all at once. Payments can be made out to MV Running Club or pay in cash. Payment deposits can be as little as low $5. A payment plan does not guaranty you a camp spot, if you are not invited to camp you will get a refund. A copy of a receipt will be provided for each deposit and a total of all deposits will be documented on each receipt you receive. July 1st: Last day to make payment or cancel.
IF YOU AND YOU TEAM ARE INTERESTED IN JOINING US FOR OUR 2ND ANNUAL XC INVITATIONAL PLEASE CLICK ON THE LEFT TAB UNDER CANYON SPRINGS INVITATIONAL.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE A COPY OF THE COURSE MAP PLEASE CLICK ON COURSE MAP TAB ON THE LEFT. THE COURSE HAS BEEN MODIFIED, ALL RUNNERS WILL BE RUNNING IN THE SAME DIRECTION AND WILL HAVE TO CONQUER COLOSSUS MOUNTAIN TWICE.
We are off to our first Cross Country fundraiser. Our year end water sales at graduation will take place on June 8th and we expect everyone to attend. Each athlete is required to donate 2 cases of water. You can drop them off at graduation or in my class room 130. This will pay for our first two meets in San Diego.
Parent meeting for Cross Country will be held on June 9th at Canyon Springs Gym starting at 6:00pm. Summer and season information will be discussed.
Anyone interested in running this summer, practice will start on May 29th at 3:20pm on the track.
Friday, May 12
Canyon Springs Cross Country 2017
August 26 Vaquero Stampede San Diego, Lakeside
September 2 Riverside Showcase Riverside, Golf Course
September 9 Laguna Hills Invitation Laguna Hills High School
September 16 Mt. Carmel Invite (SD) San Diego, Morley Field
September 20 Inland Valley Clust#1 Perris, Lake Perris
September 23 Dana Hills Invitational Dana Hills High School
September 30 Canyon Springs Invitation Canyon Springs, Box Springs
October 7 Perris Valley XC Showdown Perris, Lake Perris
October 11 Inland Valley Clust#2 Canyon Springs, Box Springs
October 13-14 *Monterey Bay (Varsity Only) Monterey Bay, Northern California
October 13-14 *Mariners Invitational (Varsity Only) Hayward, Northern California
October 22 Riverside Invitational Riverside, Golf Course
November 1 Inland Valley Finals Riverside, Andulka Park
November 11 CIF Prelims Riverside, Golf Course
November 18 CIF Finals Mt. SAC College
November 25 CIF State Meet Fresno, Woodward Park
* Subject to Change/Depending on Fundraising