Message Boards  
   back to boards  |  search  |  help!   

100-0. At what point do you take it easy?
Back Back to Board Total Views: 5838 - Total Replies: 3 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: Trish18

Posted: 1/30/2009 1:28pm
Views:   1505
Replies: 2
  100-0. At what point do you take it easy?  
Saw this news out of Texas:

"Officials from The Covenant School visited Dallas Academy on Thursday morning to apologize for their girls' basketball team's "victory without honor" in last week's 100-0 game. Meanwhile, on its school website, Covenant said it has made a formal request to the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools that it forfeit the game."

I've never seen a score that outrageous. I've seen large margins... but can't remember one in which one team didn't score any points at all. How should a coach handle this situation?

Nickname: recdwyer

Posted: 1/30/2009 1:30pm
Views:   1476
Replies: 1
  Re: 100-0. At what point do you take it easy?  
The worst game I've seen in person was a 65-8 drubbing between two small high schools. The winning team had its bench completely empty and was working on set plays and different things to pass the time. The problem is, if you pass the ball around the perimeter for six straight minutes just to burn clock, it's almost just as embarrassing as if you continue to attack the basket. I felt the winning coach of the game I saw did what she could to play honorable and still get something accomplished for her team. That's all you can ask a coach to do.

My college friend told me of a game she played in eighth grade where they were losing 31-1 at halftime and ended up falling 55-3. The winning team had a prodigy who ended up playing a little bit in the WNBA.

Looking back, she laughs about it.

Of course, with college or pros, I'm of the belief that anything goes. If you can't stop them, get a better team.

In rec league, we would always let our 300-pound big man chuck up 3's after we started losing by more than 40 points (which was about every week). So I guess it all depends.

Nickname: playofftimeX8

Posted: 1/30/2009 1:34pm
Views:   1490
Replies: 0
I heard this game was different. They coach really ran the score up. I heard they went into a full court press in the second half to try and run the score up to 100. That is why school officials apologized and want to forfiet the game. Now that is unsportmanslike

Nickname: thecomet89

Posted: 2/11/2009 6:02am
Views:   1370
Replies: 0
Ive seen a middle school game where the final score was 81-0. The coach pressed until the 4th quarter when he finally put in the subs. I thought this was very disgraceful. Not only did they do this when they played them at home, when they went to their gym, they beat them 85-9. I feel that when you up by 20+ points, you need to put your subs in. Im one of those guys that thinks if you are winning by a pretty good margin, let your younger players play and get some experience.

Video: 82-foot buzzer beater < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Jump Stop....Feet Slide   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports