Back Back to Board Total Views: 26806 - Total Replies: 5 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: therage__2

Posted: 4/25/2008 2:53am
Views:   4535
Replies: 1
  Question  Is "Hoosier Hysteria" dead?  
For about 30 years, starting out as child, I had the privilege of attending the HS boys basketball Final Four. 15,000 at Hinkle, 17,000 at Market Square and even 30,000+ at the dome. There was statewide TV and radio coverage, statewide, national and sometimes international print media coverage. That was before "class basketball."

This year, I swallowed my bias towards class basketball and attended the class finals at the downtown fieldhouse. There was no more 6,000 fans there for any one of the four games. No statewide TV or radio coverage and the print media was largely from the communities involved.

"Hoosier Hysteria" was once a term used to described the passion, popularity and even the insanity that was the state boys basketball tournament. Town vs town, little school vs big school, regional/conference bragging rights were all part of this wonder called Hoosier Hysteria.

Has class basketball killed it? I don't know, but it looks like it is on life-support!

Nickname: Trish18

Posted: 5/8/2008 4:20pm
Views:   4502
  Re: Is "Hoosier Hysteria" dead?  
You make a good point. I'm in Chicago so I am on the outskirts of the state anyway, but it does seem to be on the decline.

To that end, do you think support of the Hoosiers at the Division I level has dwindled?

Nickname: Beeko1

Posted: 5/9/2008 12:50am
Views:   4539
Illinois has just completed it's first year with a 4-class system. It played at 2-class system for years. It's just not the same. The excitement and thrill is gone and has been traded for the chance for more schools to win a championship. That is a noble goal, but the only intrest seems to be from the schools involved.

Illinois basketball was sensational. Isiah Thomas was the best high school player I've ever seen from the state. But there are countless great ones; including Derrick Rose, who we all just saw in the NCAA tournament.

One of the best sporting event I've seen, including Super Bowls, World Series, you name it (all on TV of course) was the championship game about 10 years ago featuring Harvey Thorton vs. Peoria Manual. Harvey had on it's team, Antwaan Randel El (Redskins), Napoleon Harris (Chiefs), Melvin Ely (Hornets), and Eric Herring, who was better than all of them. Peoria had 5 D-1 players including a skinny freshman nameed Frank Williams who later played for the Knicks and Bulls.

Peoria won and finished as the USATODAY number 1 team in the nation. Harvey finished number 2 in the nation. That will never happen again because Peoria is now placed in some tiny division.

[ Modified 5/9/2008 2:13am by Beeko1 ]

Posted: 5/15/2008 4:08pm
Views:   4441
My all-time Illinois high school basketball team.

Isiah Thomas
Dwayne Wade
Mark Aquirre
Terry Cummings
Kevin Garnett

No state can top that!

Nickname: skfboiler

Posted: 5/20/2008 6:49pm
Views:   4427
Beeko1

Your Illinois team is good, but I think my Indiana team can stack up to anybody.

Oscar Robertson
Larry Bird
Jim Bradley
Glenn Robinson
Greg Oden

Now back top the topic at hand. Hoosier Hysteria is definitely dead. The IHSAA mess this tournament up with these 4 classes. ESPN used to televise the tape delay of the championship game. Now the attendance is lower that ever. However, the talent level is high as ever. Indiana sends a lot kids to several D1 schools each year. The Indiana all-star teams continue to dominate Kentucky every year. Maybe they should drop Kentucky and play an Illinois all-star team.

Posted: 6/13/2008 11:45am
Views:   4366
Replies: 0
Oscar Robertson and Larry Bird? Hell you can finish the list with 3 potted plants.

Skip Bayless just STHU < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > 12u basketball league   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports