Back Back to Board Total Views: 55695 - Total Replies: 8 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: ChrisOLeary

Posted: 11/29/2006 12:29pm
Views:   6343
Replies: 5
  Zone vs. Man To Man  
I just found out that I'm going to help coach my son's rec league 6th grade basketball team.

One question that I have is about opinions of Zone versus Man To Man.

Last year my son's team went ohfor, and I think a lot of it was due to the coach's always having them play Man To Man. What would happen is that good offenses would stretch them out and then have their point guard drive in on them. Our kids weren't fast enough, or into the game enough, to be able to block these drives.

My thought is to try to play more Zone this year or a Zone/Man with my best defender playing man on their best defender and the rest of my defense playing Zone (kind of like a Sweeper in Soccer). The general idea is to force the other team to take longer shots and give my guys a better shot at getting the rebound.

Thoughts?

Nickname: JakePatterson

Posted: 11/29/2006 6:35pm
Views:   6309
Replies: 0
  Re: Zone vs. Man To Man  
Chris,

Using M2M defense with young kids can be a nightmare as it usually results in more opportunities for their offense to score than it does prevent them from scoring. I run a coaches' clinic and we suggest teaching defense in progressive levels - basic, complex, advanced.

BASIC: These formations are easy to learn and easy to teach.
1. 1-3-1 Open - Stops the putside threat.
2. 1-3-1 Closed - Stops the inside threat.
3. 2-1-2 Open
4. 2-1-2 Closed
5. 1-2-2
6. 3-2

COMPLEX: Taught after the team masters the above.
1. Box-1 - 2-2 formation with a chaser on the shooter. "Box-1" is a 2-2 with the point guard chasing. "Box-5" is a 2-2 with the center on her man, etc.
2. Trap - Can be run off any of the basic formations.
3. Man-to-man

ADVANCED: Only used after the team can master the idiosyncracies of man to man.
1. Full court press

Stick with the easy and work your way up.

TO help youngsters learn man-to-man I use the following poem, "Point to the ball, point to your man, to the basket point your can."

Hope this helps.
Jake

[ Modified 11/29/2006 6:38pm by JakePatterson ]

Nickname: basketball__19

Posted: 11/30/2006 9:22am
Views:   6258
Replies: 1
Chris,

Some rec leagues don't have enough practice time to learn a zone. I've had a lot of luck with playing M2M, but not chasing all over the floor, just having my players wait for their men at the three point line. I've heard this called a match-up zone, doesn't really matter what it's called, it seems to work fairly well, especially if your better players are your big men.

Terry

Nickname: Coach Hinz

Posted: 12/2/2006 8:50am
Views:   6235
  ThumbsUp  Re: Zone vs. Man To Man  
And be mindful as well, one can't play a good zone w/o teaching good m-m principles first. 5 on 5, everyone is "guarding" a man, even in a zone.

• Knights Basketball

•    
      Nickname: Lamcon

Posted: 12/2/2006 9:25am
    Views:   6256
    I personally coach a team defense and leave it at that for consistency sake. There's nothing wrong with zones. Many teams have won consistently with zones. I know many teams who play both just to keep the offenses thinking.

I don't see a problem with teaching either one as long as players are taught: 1) a good stance and how to move quickly in that stance, 2) How to rotate depending on the offense and the ball's location, 3) There is consistency in whether the ball is denied in the middle of the floor or the baseline 4) Rebounding technique is taught and finally 5) The defense is aggressive. Without these basics, I think you'll struggle in any defense.

In an aggressive zone, players will match up against the nearest player to them, taking on a team defense look. In an aggressive team defense, very often the floor is overloaded and the defense can look like a zone. Really the principals are the same.

The only other advice I would give you is that if you do coach a zone, still teach how to get through screens. I say this for two reasons. One, they may need to play team defense some day and should be ready to get through a screen and how to help on a screen. Also, many offenses will still set screens or pin players out in the low post area even if you're playing a zone. If you don't know how to deal with those scenarios, you'll have a headache regardless.

Neither defense has to be stretched. I've seen zones and team defenses that either stretch or protect a specific area. It's a matter of game planning.

Both defenses have their advantages, but like most sports, it still comes down to the basics and emphasis, not something fancy drawn up on the chalkboard.

[ Modified 12/2/2006 9:28am by Lamcon ]

Nickname: tireman665

Posted: 12/3/2006 3:34pm
    Views:   6226
    i love this conversation i coach rec ball 5ht and 6th boys and i believe the zone style of playing is a good deal with only one practice a week i play the box 1 style at first it is complicated but if you have aparent or two helping you can make it work what i do is put your defense up and you and the parents run a offense agianst them for atleast an hour the whole time your passing the ball around give the kids instructions when there out place when you get the easy shot but dont always take the shot kinda slow it and get the kids attention and give them time to react and let them know thats what they need to do work it a few possesions and move to the next player rteward the defense for stealin the ball or stoping the open by letting the good dead get them a spot onthe offense with the coaches or parents i lost my first three games and switched to this style of defesive practice and my season turned around for my kids i do admit my offense was shabby but there were no easy shot the rest of the year i lost tourny championship by 3 piont and they were 3rd and fourth graders

Nickname: ChrisOLeary

Posted: 12/5/2006 1:51pm
    Views:   6161
    Replies: 2
    Thanks to all who replied.

I think I'm going to teach the guys 2 basic defenses.

1. A 2-3 Zone for general use.
    2. A 2-2 Box and One for use against teams that have one very good player.

In general, my defensive philosophy is going to be to deny access to the lane and force the outside shot (and then get the rebound).

We'll see how it works out.

Nickname: tireman665

Posted: 12/6/2006 1:20pm
    Views:   6128
    thats what im talkin about sir thats how we play it and it does slow down the really good player plus it confuses him if your ball chaser does a really good job forces bad passes as long as your box stays in position if they dont it can be a really long game

Nickname: 2seamer

Posted: 2/4/2007 6:49am
    Views:   5787
    Box and 1 works great if the other team has ONE good player. If they have a decent big man they'll burn you up getting the ball in the middle. My son's 5th grade travel team plays this and it works great against some teams and we get eaten alive by others

AAU Tryouts in Clevland, Ohio < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Are college coaches paid too much?   

< Back
    Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports