Back Back to Board Total Views: 15460 - Total Replies: 8 
Print Print This Post << Previous Topic | Next Topic >> 

Back Reply to this Message BackReport Abuse Display Mode: Flat | Threaded 
  Nickname: ActiveTrish

Posted: 5/18/2007 7:38am
Views:   1809
Replies: 4
  Metal vs. Wood: The bat debate  
Baseball season is in full swing and one of the hottest topics this year is the metal-versus-wood bat debate. I thought it was the end of the road for the debate a couple weeks ago when the New York City council overrode a mayoral veto of the bill to ban metal bats. However, the debate is far from over. In fact, it is moving from the field into the courtroom.

Sporting goods companies and organizations that sponsor high school baseball nationwide filed a lawsuit against New York City and its decision to ban metal baseball bats in high school games.

Proponents of the new law say metal bats increase the risk of injury because they cause balls to move faster and don’t allow young players enough time to react. An example of this that is often cited is when a 12-year-old boy in New Jersey went into cardiac arrest after he was struck in the chest by a ball. But an American Legion Baseball study in 2005 found no substantial scientific proof that wooden bats are safer than metal bats.

The Associated Press reported that, “The lawsuit says New York City's law would harm high school players, coaches, schools and bat manufacturers because it would increase costs for players and teams and would make high school baseball less enjoyable and less competitive.” It also contends that the law is unconstitutional because it discriminates against the use of metal and nonwood composite bats without any rational basis.

I can’t make myself believe that a baseball reacts the same off a wooden bat as it does off a metal one. Perhaps a different study would produce varying results. But even if it didn’t – what’s the harm in changing over to wooden bats all the way up? It is how the game was originally designed to be played. It has a pure quality about it. If it does happen to be safer for youth athletes, it’s a win-win situation.

If you haven't yet expressed your opinion: What do you think – should metal bats be banned from baseball?

Nickname: Michael_Taylor

Posted: 5/18/2007 9:38am
Views:   1811
Replies: 2
  Re: Metal vs. Wood: The bat debate  
The whole logic behind the -3 bats and the BESR ratings is to get the exit speed the same as off a wooden bat. If you outlaw metal then stats have to be kept to see if injuries go down. The big difference between the two is you can hit a ball with the whole length of the bat and get better results than a wood bat.
As far as the case in NY, who didn't know that was going to be in the courts?

Nickname: RGMVMLL

Posted: 5/18/2007 12:27pm
Views:   1772
Replies: 1
Lawmakers should not decide what bat should be used. Let the baseball organizations make the decision.

Nickname: zombywoof

Posted: 5/18/2007 8:44pm
Views:   1733
Replies: 1
What makes no sense is banning metal bats at the high school level when they have BESR rated bats, play on a full sized diamond and the push for the law was because of the 12 yr old Little Leaguer from NJ.

If they're gonna ban metal at the high school level, where the bats are already limited, why not Little league, the level where that kid got hurt or the AAU leagues where those big barrel bats can be used.

Either outlaw it across the board or not at all.

Nickname: Kyle_

Posted: 5/18/2007 9:50pm
Views:   1693
Replies: 0
If they're gonna ban metal at the high school level, where the bats are already limited, why not Little league,..

Because LL is a private organization, and not governed by the state.

Nickname: Falconer

Posted: 5/19/2007 12:07pm
Views:   1699
Ban them. Period.
We don't need them.

Nickname: Overtonsbaseball

Posted: 5/21/2007 6:02am
Views:   1655
Without the metal -11 bats 9 and 10 year olds would not be able to hit against a 12 year old. You would have 12 to 15 strikeouts every game.

The game would revert back to the way it was when I was a kid in Little League. Younger kids would be told to look for a walk or just bunt every at bat.

As long as the metal and composite bats are rated correctly, they are no more dangerous, and add to the game.

Nickname: Overtonsbaseball

Posted: 5/21/2007 6:02am
Views:   1648
Without the metal -11 bats 9 and 10 year olds would not be able to hit against a 12 year old. You would have 12 to 15 strikeouts every game.

The game would revert back to the way it was when I was a kid in Little League. Younger kids would be told to look for a walk or just bunt every at bat.

As long as the metal and composite bats are rated correctly, they are no more dangerous, and add to the game.

Nickname: mike

Posted: 5/21/2007 9:18am
Views:   1648
While I am deeply saddened any time a child get's hurt playing baseball, it is not the fault of the bat. It's not the fault of the baseball. It's not the fault of the hitter (I'm assuming he did not attempt to hit the pitcher when swinging.) It is an accident... just as the flying shards of wood from a broken bat that hit a player, would be.
As a coach, I stress all the mechanics of pitching, including the follow through, ensuring the kids end up ready to field the ball. When I see a pitcher trying to throw so hard that it inhibits his/her ability to field their position, I put a stop to it. Unfortunately, the guy with 99 MPH heat gets more air time on ESPN than any pitcher fielding his position.

Fighting what's a coach to do??? < < Previous Topic  |  Next Topic > > Does the run count?   

< Back
Football Soccer Basketball Baseball Ice Hockey Cheerleading Softball Volleyball Lacrosse Swimming Tennis Bowling More Sports