Ahwatukee Foothills PONY Baseball Association: News
2017 Fall Registration Open!
Registration for the 2017 Fall baseball season is open. Please click the button below to be sent to our online registration system.
If you want your child to play up a division, please register as normal and submit the Play Up Waiver from our "Handouts" section of this website for approval. You will be notified if the request is approved and directed to pay any registration difference by check. A child may only play up one division level, ie: a Shetland aged player may play in Pinto (up 1 level) but not Mustang (up 2 levels).
2017 Fall Baseball Divisions:
For the Fall season this year the AFPBA will only offer individual registration for our recreational division teams in the Shetland (6u), Pinto (8u) and Champions divisions. Teams are formed by coach/friend request and/or a round-robin blind draft.
Baseball - Recreational Divisions:
- Shetland Division (4-6 years old): $115
- Pinto Division (7-8 years old): $135
- Champions Division (special needs): No charge
Baseball - Competitive / BYOT (Bring Your Own Team) Divisions:
For the Fall season this year, the AFPBA will only offer competitive / byot registration for the Pinto (8u), Mustang (10u), Bronco (12u) and Pony (14u) divisions. Coaches will register the teams and populate their roster.
Note: BYOT teams are 8 to 15 players. The team fee is fixed regardless of the number of players on the roster.
Mustang 10U, Bronco 12U, Pony 14U Divisions:
- 8 games: $950
- 12 games: $1350
- Pinto 8U Division:
- 8 games: $900
- 12 games: $1250
Note: If you are an individual player in one of these divisions and are in need of a team, please contact us via the website and we may be able to put you in touch with a coach needing players.
Note: PONY Baseball uses a "league age" for division placement. For the 2017 Spring season it is based on their age on April 30, 2018.
Family discounts (three or more children from the same household) will be automatically applied at check out.
Important Dates for Registration:
- Early Registration – Wednesday, 6/21/2017 to Saturday, 7/22/2017
- Recreational Players: $15 discount to the regular rates during this period
- BYOT Teams: $50 team discount rate applied during this period
- Regular Registration - Sunday, 7/23/2017 to Saturday, 8/19/2017
- Regular rates apply during this period
- Late Registration – Sunday, 8/20/2017 to Thursday, 8/31/2017
- Recreational Players: Additional $15 fee to the recreational player rates during this period
- BYOT Teams: $50 additional fee applied during this period
Directors & Coaches Key Dates for the Season:
- August 30: Pick up gear (Rec teams only) at 5:30 pm at Akimel Equipment Shed
- August 30: Mandatory Coach (Rec and BYOT) meeting (6:00-6:30 pm)
- August 30: PCA training at 6:30-8:00 pm in the Akimel library
- September 4: Labor Day (Holiday)
- September 5: Practices start
- September 24: Opening Day and Team Picture Day
- October 9-13: Kyrene Closed - Fall Break
- November 10 (Friday): Kyrene Closed - Veterans Day (Observance Holiday)
- November 23-24: Kyrene Closed - Thanksgiving
Important Dates for the Fallk Season:
- Practices Start - Tuesday, September 5th
Regular Season Games Start - Saturday, September 23rd
- Opening Day Ceremonies
- Team & Individual Picture Day
Kyrene Fall Break - Monday, October 9th to Friday, October 13th
- There will be games the first weekend of Fall Break (10/7)
- Games resume on Monday, October 16th
- Regular Season Games End - Friday, November 10th
Season Championship Tournament - Saturday, November 11th to Monday, November 20th
- Double Elimination Tournaments for Pinto, Mustang & Bronco divisions
- Team could play 2 to 7 games
- Championship Game - Saturday, November 18th
- 2nd Championship Game - Monday, November 20th only if both teams have 1 loss
See you all on Opening Day!
Wednesday, May 3
ASU Baseball Summer Camps
Wednesday, January 25
PONY Baseball adopts USA Baseball bat standard
In conjunction with USA Baseball and its other participating national member organizations, PONY Baseball has adopted the new USA Baseball bat standard (USABat). Effective January 1, 2018, with the exception of -3 (BBCOR certified), all other minus factor bats (-5, -7, -9, etc.), must be YBBCOR certified with the USABat licensing stamp on the bat in order to be used for league and tournament play. Minus factor bats -5, -7, -9, etc. used in 2017 will be illegal to use in 2018.
The new YBBCOR certified bats bearing the USABat licensing mark are expected to be offered in retail stores in September.
To find out more about the USABat standard click here.
Tuesday, January 24
PONY Baseball and Softball partners with Positive Coaching Alliance
Washington, Pennsylvania (Jan 24) - PONY Baseball and Softball is proud to announce that it has partnered with Positive Coaching Alliance (PCA), a national non-profit organization dedicated to developing "Better Athletes, Better People" through youth and high school sports.
"We are very excited to partner with Positive Coaching Alliance to create a better atmosphere for our baseball and softball teams and leagues," said PONY President & CEO Abraham Key. "PONY and PCA have many of the same goals in mind as we focus on making the sport experience a very positive one for players, parents, families, coaches and officials."
Read the full length press release at PONY.org, HERE
Friday, September 2
New USABaseball bat standards coming to PONY in 2018
Hello AFPBA Families,
In August, USABaseball announced a new bat standard that all the major youth and junior baseball organizations are enacting starting January 1st, 2018. All existing bats may no longer be allowed. New bats with the USABat certification will start being sold in late 2017. If you have thoughts of buying a new expensive bat soon, realize it may not be allowed in games in 15 months. You can read the article on USABaseball's website at this link.