Ahwatukee Foothills PONY Baseball Association: Chris Kelly

Chris Kelly
Position: Champions Division Director
Email: tkelly36@cox.net
Profile: Hello AFPBA Families:
For those of you who have spent a Friday night at the Akimel fields watching our Champions Division games, we may have already met. If not, I am Chris Kelly and have been running the Champions Division for the past three years. One of my boys, Sam, plays in the League and I also coach.
Several years ago I asked the PONY Board to consider starting a Champions Division to give kids with special needs the opportunity to play the great game of baseball. Within seconds, Ron Ensley, PONY President said, “Yes, we will do it” and then pointed at me and said, “and you will run it.”
Three years later, we have nearly 50 special needs athletes on four teams take to the field for five Friday nights in the Spring and five more in the Fall. They stand tall in their uniforms and proud next to their “on field buddies”. If you had not heard, our last games of the season (Friday November 14 @ 6 & 7 PM) will have members and coaches from the ASU Baseball team as the on field buddies. We are all very excited by this extra special opportunity.
Without PONY’s heart, caring and support, these kids would never know the joy of “hittin’ the ball and touchin’ em all!”
Thanks to all of you who support this group of wonderful athletes and helping to make dreams come true. We play Friday nights at 6:00 and 7:00 pm at the Akimel south field and would love for you to come and see baseball played by our athletes and the pure joy they have being on the field.
Chris Kelly
AFPBA Champions Division Director
Subscribe to this site