Elizabethton Soccer Association: ESA News: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Saturday, August 28

Updated May 22, 2012. The FAQs are updated regularly - please check back if you don't see what you're looking for, or email the Webmaster. 

WHAT IS THE MISSION?  ESA is a recreational association.  We play for the fun of it!  All of our coaches and administrators are unpaid volunteers who work hard for the benefit of our kids and our community.

WHEN DO YOU PLAY?  Practice starts in mid-August.  Games are played every Saturday, weather permitting, from the weekend after Labor Day through October.

WHO CAN PLAY?  All kids from 4 through 17.  There are no limitations on your place of residence or school registration.

  • The youngsters play in age groups U6 (meaning under 6 years old), U8, U10, and U12.  The cutoff date is August 1, meaning that if your child is 5 years old on August 1, he will play at U6, even if he turns 6 on August 2.  Teams are mixed boys and girls.
  • U13-U16 teenagers play on ESA teams in the Johnson City Recreational League.  Age groups are determined each year based on numbers.  Teams are gender-specific.
  • In the fall, a U18 boys' recreational team may be organized, depending on interest.  For more information email Ken Gough.
  • Girls' and/or mixed U18 teams may play in the spring, depending on interest.  For more information email Ken Gough.

WE'RE INTERESTED IN COMPETITIVE SOCCER.  WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS?  ESA is dedicated to recreational play, so to provide a competitive option for our kids, we became a founding member of Fusion Futbol Club, the Northeast Tennessee/Southwest Virginia regional club.  Players interested in competitive soccer should check out FFC's website.  Please note that FFC is an independent club and is not affiliated with ESA's recreational program.  For other options, check out the Links page.  

MY KID IS 3 YEARS OLD AND REALLY WANTS TO PLAY!  We don't recommend that 3-year-olds play, but if the parent is confident that the child will do well, we will normally allow it.  You must come to walk-in registration - we cannot accept 3 year-olds through the online system or mail-in.

CAN MY KID PLAY UP?  OR DOWN?  We routinely allow children to play up one age group at the parent's request.  On rare occasions we will allow a child to play down an age group - consult the

WHAT DOES IT COST?  Fees in 2012 are:

  • U6 - $30
  • U8 thru U12 - $35
  • U13-U16 - $45
  • U18 (if playing) – approximately $50
  • Full and partial scholarships are available - consult the Registrar.
  • U6 league plays at Hunsinger Field, at the corner of Jason Witten Way and Hudson Drive, near Elizabethton High School.  See a map.
  • U8 thru U12 play at Doe River Gorge Christian Camp in Hampton.  See a map.
  • U13-U16 play in Johnson City at Winged Deer Park or Civitan Park. See a map of Winged Deer.  See a map of Civitan. 
  • U18 rec location will be announced.
  • Click here to get directions to the fields
WHEN AND WHERE DO YOU PRACTICE?  Each coach sets his team's practice time and place after consulting the parents.  Most practices are held at city schools and parks and church playgrounds.  Typically, teams practice twice a week in the early evening, after work.  Click here to get more information.

WHAT IS PROVIDED?  Insurance through the
Tennessee State Soccer Association, a team jersey, and all game fees.  (U18 boys will get a complete uniform of jersey, shorts and socks.)

WHAT DO I HAVE TO PROVIDE?  Black shorts, black soccer socks, shin guards, a regulation soccer ball, and appropriate shoes or cleats. (Check out ESA's great club ball - $15 for Size 3 and 4 for the younger kids, $20 for Size 5 for the teens.  Proceeds support our program!)

WHAT ABOUT THE REFEREES?  Our referees are USSF-trained and licensed.  If you are licensed and wish to referee, contact the
Referee Manager.

  • On-line registration will be available from June 1 through cutoff on August 7 (there is a small convenience fee.)  Please help us by registering early! Register here.
  • By mail.  Registration forms are available at the Boys & Girls Club, Parks & Rec Building on Mill Street, Hibbett's, Brumit's, and other locations.  Please help us by registering early!
  • Walk-in registration was held at Mill Street on July 16.  You must now register online or by mail.

HOW CAN I HELP?  Glad you asked!
  • Bring snacks and drinks to a game - talk to your team's manager or coach.
  • Help manage the team - talk to your team's coach.
  • Coach (we'll train you!) or assistant coach (we'll train you for that, too!).  Contact the Director of Coaching.
  • Volunteer to help with field prep or the many other jobs that need doing - contact the Field Manager or Field Preparation Manager.
  • Referee (if you're licensed) - contact the Referee Manager.  (If you would like to get your license, he can help with that, too.)
  • Join the Board of Directors - contact the President.
  • You, your company or your civic organization can sponsor ESA for a very reasonable fee - contact the Fund Raising Manager.
OTHER QUESTIONS?  Check the Board of Directors page for a contact, or email the Webmaster.