Corning Soccer: Welcome

2010 Corning Hawks
2010 Corning Hawks
Sunday, October 18

2010 Corning Hawks 


Tuesday, October 5
Little Red Finish Off Hawks in 2OT

The Hawks have been working hard this season to find their identity.  Monday night at Corning Memorial Stadium, they scratched past the surface.

The Hawks and Little Red went into the half tied at 0-0.  It was a defensive battle that saw both teams searching for field position in the first half.

Shortly after the half, Julian LaDelia scored his first goal of the season off an assist from Matt Sheffer.  The Little Red put more pressure on after the Hawks' goal, but Corning initially was up to the test. 

With 12:17 left, Anwar Omar scored the equalizer.  Corning answered back two and a half minutes later, as LaDelia netted his second goal of the match off of a redirected head from Sam Schirmer.   That lead was short lived, as Ithaca's Andrew Troisi benefited from a skipping ball on the wet turf that slid through two defenders.  Troisi sprinted out ahead of the pack and buried another equalizer.

The Hawks pressured the net over the course of the last five minutes of the match.  The best opportunity was a Zach Dann chest into space, to a left footed strike.  The ball sailed just wide of the left post.

After a 0-0 first overtime, the second overtime saw the first opportunity for the Little Red.  They had a ball played into the corner, where they found a Hawk defender out of position.  Howitt stepped out thinking he could corral the ball, but the Ithaca player retrieved a lucky bounce off his own shin to send the ball back to an open Little Red player, Wando Shaw.  Wando took a couple of touches before sending a driven ball toward the net.  Howitt sprinted back and dove across the goal line to get a hand on the ball, but only enough to deflect it into the net.

Tough luck loss, but the Hawks played a fantastic match.  Good luck tonight vs. Owego! 

Tuesday, September 28
Hawks Rebound with Win

The Hawks visited Maine Endwell on Monday night at 4:30 p.m.  From the kick off, Corning went straight down the field and had a breakaway that got too far off the foot of the striker.  That was a foreshadowing of an offensive onslaught that could have potentially taken place.

Twenty-two minutes in though, ME sent a long ball that skipped through the defense.  Junior, Adam Kozecke was waiting there to place the ball past senior goal keeper, Jonathan Howitt.  The was the first chance ME had all match.  Kozecke would have one more shot before the end of the half.

The Hawks would answer at the end of the half, as Zach Dann finished on a quick turn off a free kick from sophomore defender, Jeff Kahlmeyer.  The Hawks finished the half with 12 shots on goal (and a few off). 

In the second half, the Hawks continued to mount the pressure.  The post and crossbar have been the Hawks worst enemies this fall.  The Hawks hit two posts, before Schirmer found Dann with a slotted through ball.  Dann buried the ball into the bottom right corner for the Hawks to take the 2-1 lead. 

ME had another opportunity, as a long ball was played over the heads of the defense, and Howitt was caught on his heels.  Kozecke was one-on-one with Howitt and finished a low driven shot to the near post.  Howitt was able to corral the ball, making a fantastic save.

The Hawks were able to finish with the win, 2-1.  This was an excellent outcome after a rough five days, losing to Vestal 4-0, losing in OT to West Genesee 2-1, and losing to Cicero-North Syracuse 3-0, in the Skaneateles Tournament.

Up next, Ithaca at Corning Memorial Stadium at 7:00 p.m. Monday night.  Go Hawks! 

Friday, September 17
Hawks Pick Up Big Win After Tough Loss

The Hawks faced the Patriots of Binghamton at Corning Memorial Stadium tonight.  The Hawks came away with a 3-0 win.

Senior Zach Dann scored his first career hat trick, and had a few other opportunities to add to it.  The first goal was off an assist from Jon Michael Tokar in the first half.  Schirmer found Zach off of a redirection of a header early in the second half, before finishing the hat trick with about 15 minutes left off of a long crossing pass from fellow senior Matt Sheffer.

The Patriots goal keeper, Cheyo Rogers kept them in the match with some very good saves.  Finishing with 20 on the night, 4-5 saves were on very quality opportunities.  Another 4-5 saves were on shots from 25-30 yards from goal.  Overall, he had a tremendous match.

The Hawks now visit 14th state ranked Vestal on Wednesday night in Vestal.

Goog Luck Guys!

Thursday, September 9
Hawks Push Past Green Hornets

The Hawks visited Elmira Southside Wednesday afternoon.  Though multiple opportunities for goals occurred, the Hawks did not find the back of the net until late in the first half.

Earning the fifth corner kick of the half, sophomore midfielder Jon Michael Tokar struck a ball to the back post where senior captain Sam Schirmer buried a header into the back corner. This was Schirmers second header off of a Tokar corner this fall, and marks the sixth header score off of a corner in his brilliant career.

The Hawks had a flurry of chances late in the half, only to be turned away by great goal keeping from Eric Brunglard.

The Hawks picked up the pressure in the second half, but the ESS goal keeper was determined to keep the match a low scoring affair.  About eight minutes into the half, Zach Dann dribbled end line and dropped the ball to freshman Evan Crawford, whom scored his first career varsity goal.  Later in the second half, Julian LaDelia found fellow senior Matt Sheffer to cap off the Hawks' scoring at three goals.

ESS goal keeper Eric Brunglard finished with an amazing 20 saves in the match.  He also received a couple of line clears from his defenders on the Hawks 29 shots.

Next up: Horseheads at Corning Memorial Stadium on Wednesday, September 15th. Good Luck Guys!

Saturday, September 4
Tough Road Loss for Hawks

The Hawks traveled to Elmira Free Academy Friday, where the Blue Devils are always tough at home.  Similar to last year, the Hawks had an early miscue that proved costly at the final whistle.

Giving a free kick about 35 yards away just forty seconds into the match, Nick Lian hit a well driven ball to the back post.  Alex Varkatzas was there to head it into an empty corner, just forty-nine seconds into play.

The Hawks had a rough time about it for the rest of the match, as EFA dropped more players back than the original 5 they began with to pressure the Hawks defensively, and try not to give openings. 

The scoreboard read 1-0 at the end of the match, though possession and statistics would tell a different story.

The Hawks need to use this as a learning experience and move forward as a group.

Next match @Elmira Southside next Wednesday (9/08).  Good Luck, Guys!

Tuesday, August 31
Hawks Sneak By in Game #1

With the unknown Tigers from Union Endicott visiting the Hawks today, the game had plenty of feelings like a roller coaster.

The Hawks stuck to their game plan early, and benefited from a long through ball to Zach Dann off the foot of senior midfielder, Matt Sheffer.  Dann then buried the ball past the outstretched goal keeper.

Sixteen minutes later, the Tigers executed on a series of Hawks miscues, as a Hawk defender allowed a Tiger player to dribble down the baseline.  Though the Hawks were able to make the first touch, two Hawk players kicked at the same ball, striking one another, creating a 10-yard clear out to the 18-yard box.  At the line awaiting the ball was UE midfielder Kyle Severance.  He one timed the ball past a screened Howitt to tie the match at 1 goal apiece.  This is how the match went in to intermission.

The Hawks came out a bit tentative, and UE came out aggressive.  This created a couple of half-chance opportunities for UE.  However, the Hawks would strike first again, as senior midfielder Sam Schirmer drove the baseline and struck a ball with the outside of his left foot.  Arbes made the initial save, before Sam struck a rebound past the outstretched goal keeper.

Severance would benefit from miscommunication again, as the senior trio of Hawk defenders did not communicate on crossed ball with 10:22 remaining.  Hawk goal keeper, Jonathan Howitt, came out late to attempt to punch the ball, but Severance had already deflected the ball into the Hawk net.

With the chance of the momentum swinging to the Tigers, the Hawks put their foot on the gas to separate a minute twenty-seven later.  With one of seven corners the Hawks earned, sophomore midfielder Jon Michael Tokar sent a ball into the box near the back post.  There to meet the ball with an exerted effort, was senior captain Sam Schirmer for his second goal of the match.

The Hawks had a tough match out of the gate, and found a way to grit through, even though it wasn't the team's best performance.  It is nice to win and have a chance to learn from mistakes at the same time.  The Hawks have two days to prepare for EFA at EFA High School on Friday at 4:00 p.m.

Good Luck Guys! 

Friday, August 27
Second Fall Scrimmage Successful

The Hawks traveled to Elmira Notre Dame today to be the visitors to the Crusaders.  Again, the established time of a scrimmage is not consistent, so long as the time does not exceed 100 minutes.  The Hawks and Crusaders agreed on two thiry minute periods and a twenty minute period.

The Hawks footing was a bit off in the beginning after visiting the Red Raiders astro turf yesterday, and then finidng themselves playing on the polar opposite, as END's High School field is a long, very plush grass.  The opportunities came very early, as there were six to seven shots from within the 18-yard box within the first six to eight minutes.  Senior midfielder Zach Dann was on the receiving side of three of those opportunities, and they went unfinished.

Dann quickly made up for it, as he took a feed from sophomore midfielder Will Cornfield and quickly turned and hit a left-footed half volley into the bottom left side of the net.  The goal keeper was almost able to save it, but the ball was paced well.  Shortly after, Dann scored his second goal off of an assist from fellow senior midfielder, Sam Schirmer.  Less than a minute later, Dann finished the hat trick off an assist from sophomore midfielder Jon Michael Tokar.

The Hawks had a flurry of other opportunities before senior forward Julian LaDelia toe poked a ball by the Crusader goal keeper to put the Hawks up 4-0.  LaDelia would add a second goal off of Schirmer's third assist.  Tokar and Cornfield would have great opportunities from 25 to 30 yards out late in the second period.  Tokar's blast hit the crossbar and deflected all the way out to the 18-yard box.  Cornfield's low corner drive was turned away by a great effort from the Crusader's goal keeper.

The Hawks reserves were the beneficiaries of a large portion of playing time again today.  Late in the third period, senior forward Salvador Tellez would finish off of an assist from sophomore Luke Knowles.

Senior goal keeper Jonathan Howitt and sophomore goal keeper Matt Ward combined on their second straight shutout.  The Hawks were tested with a penalty kick late in the first period.  It was nullified as a Crusaders player entered the box before the ball was struck.

This was a great experience for The Hawks, as the surface was very similar to that of Horseheads.  It was a nice chance to play on a similar surface before visiting the Blue Raiders later in the season.

The Hawks will host the Tigers of Union Endicott on Tuesday at Corning Memorial Stadium at 5:00 p.m.  Good luck guys!

Thursday, August 26
First Preseason Scrimmage a Positive Start

For the first time since 2007, Corning came out on top of Hornell.  With preseason scrimmages not a consistent established set up, the Red Raiders and Hawks played two thirty minute periods and a fifteen minute period. 

The Hawks scored in the first fifteen minutes, as sophomore reserve central midfielder Will Cornfield fed a pass into freshman striker Evan Crawford, who then finished it into the side net past the Hornell keeper.  This was after the Hawks had three other early opportunites that went awry early.  The Hawks were able to play 17 players in the first period.

The Hawks scored again, about fifteen minutes into the second thirty minute period, as the goal keeper came out for a clear.  Senior midfielder Matt Sheffer wisely looked up to see the goal keeper standing at about the pk stripe and drove a ball over his head from about 35 yards out.

At this point in the scrimmage, the Hawks subbed all of the bench into the match, including sophomore goal keeper Matt Ward.  With about eight minutes left in this period, the Hawks would face only the second shot of the match.  This was the first quality opportunity Hornell could muster against the stingy Hawks defense, and Ward was up to the task.  The ball came quickly across the back.  Ward quickly adjusted and flew to the far side to push the shot wide of the goal. 

There was another period afterward for fifteen minutes, originally geared toward allowing the reserves some time to play.  The Hawks reserves had already received almost half of the time in the first two periods, but went out for the third period for its entirety.  The Hawks continued to pressure the net, with a few opportunities coming late.

All-in-all, a good start for the Hawks.  It was exciting to begin the season well, and we look forward to continued growth.  Next scrimmage is tomorrow vs. Elmira Notre Dame at their high school field. 



Monday, June 28
Thruway Cup League 2010 Ends

The Corning United Fire U-17 Premier boys finish the spring at an impressive 4-4, considering most of the teams played are U-19 premier teams, and bolster some college players (DMRR, HHDS Dynamo), as well as very polished high school seniors (TC United). 

The guys should be very proud of their efforts, and should find ways that they have improved, while embracing their weaknesses and making strategic plans to improve upon them.

The next action for the Fire will come July 17th and 18th at the Brockport Tournament.  That will conclude the spring travel season.

However, the following weekend is the annual Strongsville, Ohio National adidas Showcase.  The summer sessions are in full swing later this week.  Congrats guys, but it is time to look forward to the next set of adventures!

Wednesday, October 28
Sectional Quarter Final vs. Binghamton a Success!

It seemed that the Hawks last match v. Binghamton was a mirage, for the first 25 minutes at Corning Memorial Stadium Wednesday night.  It was still 0-0, and the Patriots did not seem like their defense was going to break anytime soon.

Then the duo of Jakobson and Schirmer teamed up to score the game's first goal on a corner kick.  This was the third time this season that Jakobson found Schirmer on the back side of a corner kick.  That goal loosened the Hawks up a bit, as they scored again thirty-two seconds later.  This time Jakobson sent a long thru ball finding Zach Dann  for the second goal of the game.  After numerous other chances, the Hawks finished the first half scoring on a left foot drive to the back post by Jakobson.

The second half didn't take nearly as long, as Schirmer scored off an assist from LaDelia 4:32 into the half.  Approximately ten minutes later, LaDelia would find the back of the net off an assist from Jakobson.  This would mark the last chance they had to notch points, as the Hawks reserves took over.

With 21:03 showing, Andrew Timmons notched his third goal of the season off an assist from Anthony Pavlick.  With a little more than 7 minutes remaining, Jake Gracia also notched his third goal, off an assist from post season call-up, Aaron Frutos.  Frutos finished the scoring barrage by scoring off an assist from Ortiz.

The game represented well balanced scoring, which seems to be a common theme for the 2009 Hawks.  Tonight, senior Nicholas Jakobson tied last year's scoring leader, George Baity, with his 10th goal of the season.  This goes along with his school record 13 assists for the fall.

Only last year, Jakobson was the second leading scorer with 4 goals.  This fall junior Julian LaDelia follows Jakobson closely with 8 goals (along with 7 assists).  Sophomore Steven Dunlap and junior Sam Schirmer are right behind him with 7 goals each (Schirmer also posts 7 assists), and senior Anthony Pavlick has also posted 6 goals this fall.  Gracia, Timmons, and Dann would all have been the third leading scorers last fall, but find themselves at sixth on this year's list.

The guys will be working hard to overcome the sickness that has spread through the team.  They will also begin to focus on the next task at hand, which is to take on Ithaca at Ithaca High School Saturday night at 7:00 p.m.  The Hawks have suffered two heartbreaking defeats at the hands of the Little Red this fall, falling 1-0 in double OT in Corning, and 1-0 late in the game at Ithaca. 

The Lady Hawks already set the tone, knocking off Horseheads in their last opportunity.  The boys' side will attempt to match, while battling for a spot in the section IV final at the Soccer Hall of Fame.  Go Hawks!


Thursday, October 22
STAC Semi Finals Matchup Tough for Hawks

The Hawks of Corning faced a Section IV Class B power in Oneonta on Wednesday, October 21st in Corning Memorial Stadium.  The Yellow Jackets of Oneonta are on an eleven game unbeaten streak now, and are currently ranked #5 in New York State Class B.

Attacker Jacob Joseph put the Yellow Jackets on the board off a free kick just 4:23 into the game.  He sent a bent ball to the back post, where a Hawks defender incidentally vacated.  This put Oneonta up 1-0 early.  The Hawks answered at 27:56, when senior midfielder Anthony Pavlick drove the end line and made a picture perfect cross to fellow senior midfielder Nicholas Jakobson.  Jakobson headed the ball into the far side net.

The struggle for most teams is to maintain that presence and not have a let down for the following two minutes.  Consistent with that, 1:52 later, the Hawks gave Jacob Joseph his right foot in space again.  Not content with a single goal, Joseph buried his second goal of the match.

The rest of the half was very evenly played, though the Hawks had a great opportunity late. From a dropped ball, senior midfielder Tyler Lucero struck a ball with his right laces, sending it just wide of the net.

The second half was much more in the Hawks possession for most of the half.  Corning had multiple opportunities to tie.  Junior midfielder Sam Schirmer hit crossbar, and then followed with a header later in the half that was just over the cross bar.  There was also a scrum inside the box in front of the Yellow Jackets net, but their goal keeper, Alex Meschutt, finally took control of the situation.

The Hawks lacked the consistency that got them into this match.  Passing was inconsistent, communication was lacking, and often times, Oneonta just seemed to want it a bit more.  The Hawks will have some time to work out the kinks before hosting Binghamton on Wednesday, October 28th at 7:00 p.m.

Good Luck Guys!       

Friday, October 16
STAC West Champions after Game #14

The Hawks of Corning visited Union Endicott, where they have not won since 2005.  The Hawks also visited on a night when the Tigers were celebrating their senior night.

In the first half, the Hawks were tentative, and the Tigers were up for the challenge.  The half finished with a 0-0 tie.

The tie was broken with 27:15 left in the second half, when junior Julian LaDelia burried a shot off of an assist from Nicholas Jakobson.  The Hawks continued to attack, and came close to a second goal on a few different occasions.  Finally, with 14:10 left in the match, the Hawks scored again, when Jakobson sent in a corner that was bending toward goal.  All the defense could do is attempt to clear, but it was unsuccessful.

The one negative thing that could come from this game for the Hawks, was the let down they had with 48 seconds left, letting UE net a goal.  Kyle Severence beat the Hawks defense to a ball, and seeing that goal keeper Jonathan Howitt had vacated his line and was standing at the 18, Severence hit a 30 yard shot over Howitt and into an empty net.

Corning now finishes their regular season 8-6, obtaining the STAC West Title, as well as the #3 seed in Section IV Class AA finals.  The Hawks will host the winner of Oneonta/Owego at the stadium on Wednesday.

Wednesday, October 14
Game #13 vs. Elmira Free Academy a Battle!

In a game that had huge STAC West ramifications, the Hawks hosted the Blue Devils of Elmira Free Academy.  The Hawks worked all week on attacking from the outside in, and it didn't take long for it to be executed.

Junior Sam Schirmer attacked the end line and sent a beautiful ball across to an open junior Julian LaDelia.  The Blue Devils countered quickly with a beautiful free kick score from Ross Holden from about 20 yards out.

Again, the Hawks quickly responded with consecutive goals from senior Anthony Pavlick, on assists from Schirmer and senior Nicholas Jakobson.  Having another score called back, the Hawks went into half time with a 3 to 1 lead.

The second half began with possession being dominated by the Hawks.  However, a weakness of Corning all fall has been a quick counter.  On a missed clear opportunity, EFA freshman Alex Varkatzas sent a ball over to senior Charlie Anderson, who then redirected a header past the outstretched arms of Howitt.

Eight minutes later, Pavlick finished his first career hat trick, as Jakobson found him again on the back post.  The scoring finished with arguably the nicest goal in all of STAC this season, as Jakobson hit a free kick around the EFA wall and put it into the near side net off the post.

This has been an amazing overall season for the Hawks.  We have seen many records fall, and it continued this game.  With his 8th and 9th assists of the season, Jakobson becomes the single season assist leader for Corning District.  He also extended his career assist mark to 16.  Junior Sam Schirmer is hot on his heels, as he has now mirrored last years final stats of accumulating 7 assists this fall, making 14 for a career.

The Hawks also strengthened their balanced scoring, as the Hawks now have five players with 5 or more goals (junior LaDelia 7, senior Jakobson 7, sophomore Dunlap 6, senior Pavlick 6, junior Schirmer 5).  There are two tied with two goals each, and a three others with a goal.

The Hawks must finish the season with a win of Union Endicott at UE in order to finish a top STAC West.  Good Luck Guys!

Monday, October 12
Game #12 vs. Ithaca Proves to be Defensive Battle

In a game between two large school teams from section IV, the Hawks of Corning and Little Red of Ithaca played another game this fall to a defensive stalemate.  The Hawks goal keeper Jonathan Howitt, and the Little Red keeper David Kaminsky both made tremendous saves to keep the game at 0-0 through 63 minutes.

This is one of those games where it would take an absolute hustle goal to win, and that's exactly what happened.  with 17:47 remaining on the clock, a ball was played to the top right side of Corning's 18 yard box.  The sweeper for Corning at the time, Jesse Martinez, sprinted across the box to attempt to clear.  At that same time, Howitt was attempting to get out to the corner of the box to claim the ball.  Unfortunately for the Hawks, Andrew Troisi, a senior forward was running to the ball as well.  All three players had their backs to the goal.  Troisi got a foot on it and sent it straight up in the air.  The ball carried over Howitt's head, bounced high and hit the under side of the crossbar and went into the goal.

Corning had other scoring opportunities late in the match, the best of which was a beautiful combination play down the side, with a ball dropped back to Sam Schirmer.  Sam hit a beautiful low drive that was going into the bottom left side net, until Kamisky laid out and got a hand on it to send it out for a corner.

Corning played most of the first half and all of the second half without starting sophomore forward Steven Dunlap.  This was after losing Zach Dann early in the first half with an elbow to the mouth.  The goal was scored by Ithaca less than two minutes after starting center back, Caleb Noel was injured during play, and the defense had to shift around to adjust. 

The Hawks will host Elmira Free Academy at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday.  Good Luck Guys!


Monday, October 5
11th Game vs. Binghamton Offense Clicks

The Hawks faced the Patriots today and the offensive flood gates opened versus a strong defensive and goal keeping team.  Previously no team had scored more than five against the patriots, and they have allowed two or fewer in most matches (6 of 10). The Hawks unloaded for nine goals today.

The scoring opened on a Jakobson goal, off an assist from junior Zach Dann.  That score was just inside eighteen minutes left in the half.  The Hawks continued to pressure, but senior goal keeper Sam Guy turned back a lot of shots.  With 50 seconds left in the half, the Hawks scored their second goal, as junior Julian LaDelia drove the end line and dropped a ball to junior Sam Schirmer.

The second half scoring came early and often.  The first goal was scored by sophomore Steven Dunlap, on another assist from LaDelia (35:45).  Jakobson scored on a Schirmer assist just over a minute later.  A minute and a half later, Dunlap scored his team leading 6th goal on an assist from Schirmer.  Jakobson scored his third goal of the game at 28:43. Scoring the fourth goal in seven minutes, Schirmer scored his second goal on an assist from Dann.

Ten minutes later, Dann scored on an assist from junior Tony Secondo.  Finishing the scoring was senior Anthony Pavlick from Schirmer.

The Hawks improve to 6-5 on the season (5 losses by combined 6 goals-4 of which were against state ranked opponents).  This was the most the offense clicked all season, and is coming off of a game where they clicked just as much, but faced a strong defense and goal keeper in Vestal and Shawn Lewis.

The Hawks also pushed their shutout record to 5.  It is the most shutouts in a single season since moving to the STAC Division.  The Hawks have also improved their balanced scoring attack on the season, as Dunlap leads the team in goals with 6, Jakobson has 5g 7a, LaDelia 5g 6a, Schirmer 4g 5a, and Pavlick rounds out the crooked numbers with 3g 2a.

The Hawks are hoping to carry this momentum into the match versus Ithaca on Saturday.  They are looking forward to attempting to avenge the 1-0 double overtime loss vs. Ithaca earlier in the season.

Good Luck Guys!


Monday, October 5
Match #10 vs. NYS Class AA #3 Vestal Golden Bears

Corning came out a bit tentative to begin the match.  Playing without a couple of typical starters in Noel and Kerwan, as well as still not having Sheffer for a midfield sub, the Hawks were getting comfortable with each other.   Vestal controlled the better part of the start of the game.  Until about eight minutes in, when a pass came across the 6 yard box on the offensive end.  Vestal's goal keeper, Shawn Lewis was frozen on his line, but saw that Hawks senior Pavlick was making the run to the back post.  Pavlick looked to score another goal, until Lewis came from no where to stone Pavlick and send it off for a corner.

Vestal scored about six minutes later when a ball was sent into the corner to sophomore Robbie Hoover.  Hoover sent a pass across, catching Jesse rolling his ankle, and the defensive game plan of marking junior Nate Economou broke down.  Economou goal at 27:53.

Corning looked to knot it up at one, when junior Zach Dann broke down the defense and passed a ball across to an open pair of forwards in junior Andrew Timmons and junior Jake Gracia.  Both having chances to put a foot on it, neither were able to put a controlled strike on the ball, before the defense cleared the ball off the line.

In the second half, Vestal had one scoring opportunity and took advantage.  Having seven total shots, the Golden Bears only had one in the second half.  This time it was the reverse, where a ball was sent into Economou and he found Hoover on the back post for a 5-yard strike.

However, the Hawks were determined to make the come back.  On one of the Hawk's eight corners, LaDelia headed a ball to the back post where a Vestal defender had just vacated.  Senior sweeper Dan Porter slid across to clear the opportunity off the goal line.  Shortly after, Nicholas Jakobson was fouled in the box.  Having converted on the first two penalty opportunities this fall, it was felt that it was a forgone conclusion that the Hawks would only be down 2-1, after the conversion with almost ten minutes left. 

Shawn Lewis had a different idea.  He guessed the correct way and dove to his left immediately.  Jakobson struck the ball well enough that Lewis left a rebound right to him.  Quicly striking with his right foot, Lewis was already back to his feet laying out to save the rebound. 

The Hawks would get their last opportunity with about four minutes left in the game, when senior Tyler Lucero slipped through for a break away on the left side.  Lewis seeing that he needed to cut the angle quickly came off of his line and forced a chip shot from Lucero.  Lucero put a good stike on the ball, but just sent it high enough to skim the cross bar as it went over.

This was a very positive outcome.  Vestal has eight straight shutout matches, and nine in eleven games.  The Hawks pushed one of the best defenses in the league to the brink.  If not for the superb effort of senior goal keeper Shawn Lewis, the Hawks could have easily won 6-2.  Six quality opportunities against the #3 state ranked team is awesome.

Keep up the good work guys, and good luck vs. Binghamton!

Thursday, October 1
Game #9 Sees Hawks Fall Short by 1 Goal Again

Playing at Horseheads is always difficult.  Being one of two grass fields in the conference, they have a distinct home field advantage in STAC now. 

It makes it even more difficult with uncharacteristic defensive breakdowns that spot an early lead to them.  Due to two separate defensive miscues, Horseheads took the early 2-0 lead in the half.  This was following a flurry of Hawks shots that sophomore goal keeper Ian Boor turned back.  Horseheads came out with the intensity and aggressiveness to begin the match.

Again, just like in the previous three losses, the Hawks dominated the better part of the second half.  10 minutes in, the Hawks were dealt another blow with a questionable red card being assessed to senior defensive back, Caleb Noel.

This is where the story takes a great turn.  From that point on, the Corning players seemed to play at an even higher level.  Nicholas Jakobson scored on a penalty kick with 22:01 left in the match.  Closely following was a break away opportunity that got caught up in the grass.  Dunlap was able to recover the ball and send it to the corner, where Pavlick sent in a crossing pass.  We narrowly missed the pass twice, one with a head, and once with a foot.

Ultimately, STAC West is completely up in the air, and could come down to the last two games of the season; EFA @ Corning on 10/14, and EFA @ Horseheads on 10/16.

Good luck Friday vs. Vestal, Guys!

Thursday, September 24
1st Match of Second Half a Success

The Hawks hosted the Green Hornets of Southside on Wednesday night.  The Hawks were short a couple of players after injuries in the Ithaca game, but welcomed back Tyler Lucero for his first game action of the fall.

Simultaneously with the first whistle, the skies opened up for rain, which quickly became a heavy down pour.  During this time the wind also picked up greatly in the faces of the Hawks.  The first 25-27 minutes of the game were very sloppy, partially due to the conditions, and partially due to feeling out new players on the field.  The half closed with a flurry of action.

The first goal was scored by Julian LaDelia off of a redirection from Nicholas Jakobson.  The second goal was a two man game, where LaDelia broke down the defense and fed a ball to fellow attacker, Steven Dunlap for the second goal.  A third goal closely followed, when freshman Jon Michael Tokar fed a ball into LaDelia for his second goal.  The final goal to close the half was arguably the best goal of the season, as senior Anthony Pavlick received a pass from Jakobson and drove toward goal off of his first touch.  Seeing junior Andrew Timmons crashing down through, Pavlick slipped a ball on the ground behind the defense, where Timmons finished it into the net.

The second half began much like the first, with the Hawks spending a bit too much time focusing on individual play.  When the Hawks regrouped and played soccer again, the scoring barrage continued.  Scoring three goals in about a five minute span, the Hawks began with a goal from senior Anthony Pavlick, on an assist from junior Zach Dann.  Zach slotted a beautiful ball through the side, where Pavlick one timed it by the goal keeper.  Shortly following, junior Jake Gracia raced by the defense to beat the goal keeper to a back side pass from Nicholas Jakobson.  The scoring finished with the third goal of the night from LaDelia, whom beat everyone down the field on a punt from Jonathan Howitt.

Seven to nothing really does not tell the entire story, as Corning went through long droughts of struggling to make the last pass with effective pace.  The conditions of the turf were largely responsible for that.  The second line goal keeper Tommy Austin also kept the game close at the end.  Corning had three to four very solid opportunities that were turned back, at times they did not seem possible.  Most notably, Austin made a brilliant save off of a cross to the back side of the goal, where sophomore Dunlap scorched a header toward the corner.  Austin seemed out of the play, but came back across the goal to make a superb save.  Shortly after, Austin made a stop on a laser, to have left it in front of him for a rebound.  Again, Dunlap found himself in a position to score, but was stoned by a finger save at the last second by Austin.

The Hawks will continue to work at practice on effective team attacking, and also continue to work on developing consistency as a group.  Minor concerns at this point in the season, as the Hawks look to make a strong run before sectional play begins.

Good Luck Guys!

Tuesday, September 22
Game #7 vs. NYS AA #18 ranked Ithaca Goes to Wire!

Arguably the toughest team the Hawks have faced this fall, and the game needed a second overtime to be decided.  

Battling a barrage of injuries, the Hawks gave everything they had in this match. The Hawks battled most of the match without junior captain midfielder, Sam Schirmer.  He was hurt early in the first half, and was unable to play in any of the second half or overtime.  Some players played the entire 96 minutes of the match, and still tried to leave everything on the field.  The underclassmen and reserve players stepped in and did a fantastic job of keeping the Hawks in the match, as players began to drop off like flies.

Ithaca came out in the first half and controlled much of the half.  Possession was 60/40 Ithaca, which would mark the first time the Hawks did not dominate possession in a half this fall.  Ithaca played with a bit of trickery, as their midfield did not possess the ball as well as in past games.  The Little Red outshot Corning 5 to 1 in the first half, and outcornered the Hawks 5 to 1.

The second half adjustments showed more of the Corning style of play.  With absolute domination through the midfield, seniors Anthony Pavlick and Nicholas Jakobson teamed with juniors Zach Dann and Matt Sheffer to dominate possession in the second half.  Controlling possession at about a 70/30 advantage, the Hawks outshot the Little Red 3 to 1 in the second half, and both teams were awarded one corner.

The first overtime was absolutely dominated by the Hawks!  With about a 90/10 possession rate, the Hawks outshot Ithaca 3 to 0 in the first overtime, and were awarded three corners to Ithaca's 0.  A Jakobson header hit crossbar, and a breakaway late in the period was snuffed out by senior goal keeper David Kaminsky.

The Hawks began the second overtime in the same dominating fashion.  Unfortunately down five starters due to injury, the Hawks were battling tooth and nail, and were caught a bit flat footed, and just simply gassed.  Ithaca's Andrew Troisi sent a thru ball to Christopher Tien.  Tien cut from left to right, to find himself one-on-one with junior goal keeper J.P. Howitt.  Tien hit a beautiful low driven shot to the back post, just out of the reach of Howitt.

An unfortunate way to end, but a courageous battle by all of the Hawks.  The second part of the season begins tomorrow with a match against Elmira Southside at home.  The Hawks hope that the depleted lineup due to injuries will not impact the outcome of this division match.  Resting a bunch of key players, the Hawks reserves will have a large opportunity to play a key role.

Good Luck Guys!

Saturday, September 19
Game #6 vs. Union Endicott

Though many guys are under the weather on the Hawks team at this point, the Hawks played a gritty game against a quality Union Endicott team.  There were many noteworthy accomplishments in today's game.

First and foremost, the Hawks beat Union Endicott for the first time in the last four matches.  The Tigers have played us very hard, beating us 3 to 2 in overtime of sectionals in 2007, 1 to 0 and 2 to 1 in the regular season last year, and 2 to 1 in overtime of sectionals last year.

Secondly, the Hawks scored on three set plays today, which have been the bread and butter of past Union Endicott teams.  It was nice to see the Corning guys making very strong offensive runs, both in transition, and on the end of set pieces.

Four different Hawks were in the scoring column today.  The best news is that they are ALL underclassmen that return for another season next year.  Sophomore Steven Dunlap opened the scoring in the first half, off of a beautiful centering pass from junior Matt Sheffer.  This would mark as Dunlap's third goal of the season, to lead all Hawks players.  Junior forward, Andrew Timmons scored the second goal off of a set piece corner, that was redirected to him by junior Sam Schirmer.  The third goal was scored by junior Jake Gracia, directly off of a corner feed from Nicholas Jakobson.  Jakobson's second assist from a corner kick to Schirmer would prove to be the 12th assist of his career, to take over the career mark for the Corning District Hawks.  Jakobson now has 5 assists on this early season, and is setting his sights for the 8 assists, which is the single season mark held by Benjamin Nix (2008 graduate, Oswego State University), and Christopher Liebner (2006 graduate, American University).

The lone Endicott goal was scored with 4.7 seconds left in the first half, on an absolute hustle play.  A ball was played to the side, and Alex Nichols outhustled everyone to the ball for the finish.  This cut the Corning lead to 2 to 1, going into halftime.

Junior gaol keeper, Jonathan Howitt sealed the Hawks victory early in the second half with a 1-on-1 save, to preserve the 2 to 1 score.  From that point on, the Hawks took control, limiting the Tigers to four total shots on goal (1 in the second half).

Congratulations guys!  Keep up the good work.  Hopefully we can continue to find the back of the net on Monday when we host Ithaca at 7:00 p.m.  That match could prove to be the deciding factor in sectional point standings, and STAC West standings for the half way mark.  With a win, the Hawks would be second in sectional points, and 1st in STAC West after the halfway point of the season.  Good luck guys! 

Thursday, September 17
5th Game of Season at Elmira Free Academy

The fifth match of the season began very discouraging, as the Blue Devils sent a long ball to forward Denzel Harris for the first goal of the match 27 seconds in.  The Blue Devils caught the Hawks defensive unit out of position and took advantage early.

This seemed to take away the steam from the Hawks for a bit.  The game began with much of the play being back and forth.  The second goal for the Blue Devils came off the foot of Harris again, as Ross Holden broke down the Hawks D and slotted a nice cut pass to Harris.  Harris put a perfect first touch on the ball and burried it into the side net.

The Hawks needed intermission to regroup.  The second half was very much a representative of the Hawk's style of play.  Dominated the midfield, and stymiing chances by the Blue Devils on defense, the Hawks turned in their third straight performance of allowing no shots in the second half.

The Hawks, though still very young this fall, have proven to be a dominant force when playing their style of soccer and dictating the pace of the game.  We will continue to work as hard as we can at practices, and begin trying to successfully put two halves together each match like the second halves of the last three.  With continued effort and a higher level of intensity in each game, the Hawks are well aware of the fact that things will come together.  Their goal is to play their best soccer during sectional play.

Good luck Saturday vs. Union Endicott, guys!

Tuesday, September 15
4th Game of the Season at Southside

Monday's game was held at Elmira Southside High School.  Due to construction taking place in the stadium, the game was played on the extremely narrow JV field.

Corning began with a flurry of shots on goal in the first minute of the match.  Scoring exactly 1:30 into the match was junior Julian LaDelia, off of a beautiful centering pass from senior Nicholas Jakobson.  Less than two minutes later, Jakobson sent another cross to the back post for senior Anthony Pavlick to finish.

Corning found itself with a 2 to 0 lead until 10:47 remained in the half, when senior Jesse Martinez took a short pass from LaDelia to put Corning up 3-0.

For most of both halves, Corning struggled to find the back of the net, as they were adjusting to the narrow field and long, thick grass.  The Hawks were the beneficiaries of approximately 12 to 15 break away opportunities, that were kicked directly at the goal keeper, or hit the post.

The Southside goal keeper, Tommy Austin was credited with 19 saves.  Along with that, the Southside defenders cleared another 6 or 7 balls of the line, from either headers, or balls that beat Austin, but did not have enough pace to cross before the clear.

The second half scoring finished with a goal from junior Matt Sheffer, off an assist from freshman defender, Jeffrey Kahlmeyer.  Jeffrey also made a shutout preserving play, when he came all the way from the left defensive spot to tackle the ball on the right side, after a Southside attacker made it through the right side.  This helped to preserve the third shut out in four games for the Hawks.

Corning is looking forward to returning back to turf, as they visit Elmira Free Academy on Wednesday.  Academy has a brand new turf facility this fall.

Good Luck Guys!

Thursday, September 10
Match #3 vs. a Fiesty Binghamton Crew

Less than twenty seconds in, Corning had its first opportunity of the match.  Nicholas Jakobson sent a beautiful through ball into a streaking Julian LaDelia.  A foreshadowing of future events, LaDelia was called offsides, though starting from seven yards behind the defender.

Twelve minutes in, the Hawks capitalized on a beautiful left footed cross to the back post by LaDelia.  Waiting at the back post to head the ball in was fellow striker, sophomore Steven Dunlap.  Just like the Vestal game, Corning began to slow down a bit and not put quite as much pressure on the Patriots.  This lead to uncharacteristic play of boom ball for Corning back and forth with the Patriots.

In the second half, Corning took control.  Outshooting the Patriots 17-1 in the match, the Hawks had four or five quality chances early.  Sam Guy, the four year varsity starting goal keeper for Binghamton made huge saves to keep the game close.

Dunlap scored his second goal off of a play that began with out right hustling from Jake Gracia, and finished with Dunlap beating the defender to the ball and placing it near post by the vacated goal keeper. 

There were other opportunities to go ahead by three or four goals, but Guy stoned a few shots on the door step.  Sam played an outstanding match, and Sadam Sero played very well in the back to attempt to shut the Hawks offense down.  In the end, the Hawks wore the defense down by playing in their half for a majority of the match.

The guys deserve a lot of credit for their second half play, as the officiating and play by Binghamton was easily enough of a distraction to take them out of their game.  It did for a bit, but the Hawks collected themselves and cool (maybe a bit warm) heads prevailed.

Good Luck on Monday at Southside, Guys!

Friday, September 4
Match #2, no easier, as Vestal visits Corning

Corning began the game very well, dictating the pace in the first few moments.  The Hawks ran their shutout streak to 103 minutes, and scored early to set the pace.

Julian LaDelia scored on a hustle play by both he and Jesse Martinez.  Martinez hustled down the field to beat a defender to the ball and shot toward goal.  The ball would have been a bit wide, though LaDelia was sitting waiting for the ball to tuck it in the net.

For the next 5 minutes, the Hawks continued to dominate possession and play well.  With 20:23 left in the half, the Hawks experienced some misfortune as they scored an own goal.  A corner was played into the box, where a Vestal player headed the ball toward net.  After an initial misclear by a Hawk player, the ball then went to the post, where a second Hawk player mis-hit the ball into our own net.

Vestal then began beating the Hawks to most 50/50 balls for the rest of the half.  With 5:17 left in the half, another Hawk miscue led to a Vestal goal.  A Hawk player miscleared the ball into the center of the field about thirty yards out, where a waiting Nate Economou one timed a shot that went just under the cross bar.  Howitt had almost no time to react, and the Hawks went into half time facing a 2 to 1 deficit.

Corning made adjustments at half, and came out to set the pace the entire second half.  The Hawks narrowly missed tying the game on the foot of a hustling Kerwan.  Needing to finish into an empty net, Kerwan, a defender, was surprised to find himself in a scoring situation, and did not react quite quickly enough to capitalize.  Instead, a Vestal defender slid in to save the goal from being converted.

The Hawks won almost every 50/50 ball in the half.  The Vestal coaching staff was very upset with the change of momentum in the second half.  Corning dominated possession in the second half with about a 80/20 margin.  Unfortunately, with 4:27 left in regulation, the Hawks finally allowed the first Vestal shot of the half.  It happened to be a break away caused by miscommunication in the back field.  Economou sealed the game with his second goal.

The lesson to learn is that when providing good teams with chances out of mistakes, they will take advantage of it more often then not.  Five shots on goal by Vestal equaled three goals.  Though Corning had a shot advantage in the game, Vestal capitalized on their few opportunities.

It is an unfortunate loss, as the best team seemed to be on the wrong side of the scoreboard today.  The Hawks will regroup and focus on the next match vs. Binghamton at Alumni Stadium on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.  Good luck guys! 

Wednesday, September 2
First Match of Fall Season vs. Horseheads

The Corning Boys soccer team came out with fire and passion to begin the match.  Corning's short passing was immaculate at the beginning of the match, and stayed pretty consistent throughout.  The opportunities that were quality for Corning were saved by brilliant goal keeping play from sophomore Ian Boor.

Early in the first half, Jesse Martinez had a great opportunity, to have it turned back by Boor.  Corning went into the half with a six to two shooting advantage.  The second half began much like the first, with great passing from Corning.  Horseheads stepped up their intensity a bit, which caused some hurried passes to not meet their destination. 

The most quality opportunity by Horseheads was a break down the side that was called back in what the official found as a lack of advantage.  The Horseheads player finished the play, and scored what would have been the deciding goal.  After the miscue, Corning recollected themselves to play quality soccer for the rest of the half.

Overtime opened with a couple of plays by both teams in the midfield, before Corning began to break down the sideline.  The Horseheads defender slipped in between the player and the ball and dropped it to the goal keeper.  Boor chose to let it run off, than have a hand ball in the box.  On the ensuing corner kick, Nicholas Jakobson sent a beautiful ball to the back post where Sam Schirmer headed a beautiful ball into the front net.  With the new rule of Golden Goal, that is how the game finished.

Great hustle, character, heart, and courage shown by the Hawks today.  We will look to utilize our opportunity to play well vs. Vestal on Friday.

Great Job Guys! 

Saturday, July 25
Adidas National Showcase

After three days in Cleveland, the Corning group competed very well all weekend.  In both of Friday's matches, the Corning team tied the matches 1-1 vs. Hawken, and Green.  Andrew Ortiz scored on a PK in the first match, and off of a half volley strike from about 25 yards out in the second match.  Green proved to be the strongest opponent Corning would face all weekend.

Corning began the morning on Saturday with a 0-1 loss.  It was an unfortunate match, as Corning outshot Big Walnut 12-1.  The 1 shot was off of a surprising counter attack, as Corning dominated play throughout the match.

Corning finished the day strong, as they won 1-0 in the second match against Jack Britt, off a goal from birthday boy, Zach Dann, which came from a centering pass from Matt Sheffer.  It was a great birthday present for Zach.  Corning dominated the possession in this match as well.  This was a well played match, as we played it with only 13 players, as we played without Andrew Ortiz, Jesse Martinez, and early in the match we lost Tony Secondo.

The third match of the day found Corning really taking full advantage of their passing strengths.  Behind a hat trick from Julian LaDelia, and a goal from Steven Dunlap, Corning won handily against Ashland 4-0.

The Sunday morning matches changed to 7:00 a.m. and 7:50 a.m., which means that we were up at 5:45 a.m. to get to the field on time.  Brendan and Dale, and the rest of our "Step Brothers" made the first part of the match as sleep walkers.  We tied the match 1-1 in the end, but completely outplayed Archbishop Hoban throughout the match.  Their goal keeper turned away a couple of breakaways to keep their team in the game.

The second match was a 0-1 loss against Shaker.  This was the second best team we played this weekend, but again, Corning was in the match.  With some consistent scoring, Corning will definitely continue to experience success in the future.

This was a great weekend!  Most of the guys really stepped up and committed themselves to improving and winning.  Overall we were 2-2-3, scoring 8 goals and allowing 4 in the seven matches.  All without many of our midfielders.  The guys really made an attempt to work together to achieve at a higher level.  Good luck in the scholastic season guys!

Corning Soccer in Brazil 2009
Thursday, July 16
Tour to Brazil

Nossa equipe visitou Brasil e teve uma estadia grande!  This translates to our team visited Brazil and had a great time.  

We arrived on Tuesday, and were met by Jose Villarinho, Luiz's brother.  We then traveled a long four hour bus ride to Oscar Inn, before checking in.  We had our first training session that afternoon with the Brasilius FC U-20 team, which included two MLS players. 

On Wednesday, we trained twice with the Brazilian coaches.  The guys found that there were many similarities with our training in the US, but also found that the coaches are very hard on the players during training in order to demand perfection.  The guys had a great time, though they said the training was very vigorous.  We even finished the day with a scrimmage against the U-20 team.  After 40 minutes, we were down 1-0.

On Thursday, we played in our first match.  We played vs. the Brasilius FC U-17 team, which is #4 in all of Brazil in the Professional Division A.  We had hoped to carry over our play from Wednesday, but came out very tentative and nervous.  This was not a good combination as the Brasilius FC team scored three times in the first 15 minutes.  The score was 0-4 at the half.  Once calmed down, and collected, the Corning team actually dominated possession, though fell to a final score of 5-0.  JP Howitt had 6-8 tremendous saves. 

On Friday, we found ourselves playing in our second match vs. Aguas de Lindoia U-17.  They are in the Division I bracket in Brazil (only below the Professional Division A).  The first half of the match was all Corning.  Our first goal was scored by a beautiful left footed shot by Matt Sheffer, streaking down the left side of the field.  The second goal of the first half was scored by Sam Schirmer, off of a corner kick by Sheffer.  We went into the half up 2-0.  The second half began a bit hairy, as Jeff Kahlmeyer was hurt in the first half.  Our replacements had to get their feet under them, though Aguas took a bit advantage to come roaring back to tie it at 2.  Aguas soon scored again, to make it 3-2.  Zach Dann then scored off a beatiful centering pass from Anthony Pavlick.  With about ten seconds left in the match, Sam Schirmer found Pavlick streaking down the right side.  Pav sent in an immediate cross.  The intitial play on the ball was missed, but Sheffer one timed the ball with his right foot into the far side net to put Corning up 4-3.  That is how it would finish.  JP Howitt made more great saves, and was supported by great defensive play from Jacob Ellison, Patrick Kerwan, Jesse Martinez, and "Magic Spray" AKA, Andrew Ortiz.

Saturday found us already playing in our third match.  We were supposed to play against another Division I opponent, in Monte Sciao, though had a late replacement of Sao Paulo, which is a Professional Division A team.  This was also a mix of their U-17 and U-18 teams (Brazilians do not like to lose, and were not looking to do it twice in three days to a US team).  The game was very much dominated by Corning for the first 15 minutes.  Unable to capitalize, Sao Paulo found a chance to create off of a counter attack to go up 1-0.  A few minutes later, Corning struck, as Steven Dunlap finished off of a redirection of a free kick by Sam Schirmer.   The rest of the half found Corning reeling, as they struggled with fatigue, and the field and sidelines were caught up in what appeared to be "home field," or "home country" advantage.  Sao Paulo finished the scoring of the half by scoring on a controversial PK with a few minutes left in the half to go up 3-1.  This is where the character of the Corning guys came into play.  After collecting themselves, and deciding to refocus on having fun and just playing, the second half was ALL Corning.  About ten minutes into the half, JP Howitt made a save, and then converted by scoring on a punt that went over the goal keepers head.  A bit later in the half, Patrick Kerwan finished a goal, after a scrum in the goal box.  This tied the score at 3 apiece.  Corning continued to attack throughout the rest of the half, but found itself unable to capitalize, though having many quality opportunities.  Sao Paulo again, found a way to create in a counter attack to go up 4-3.  This is the way it would finish.  Though that takes absolutely nothing away from what this group of guys was able to accomplish.

Sunday was a pretty easy going day, as we spent the afternoon at the mall in Sao Paulo, before attending a Division I match.  We watched Sao Paulo play against Flamengo.  The final score was 2-2, and our group had a blast.  We even had a picture taken with some "meninas bonitas," or pretty girls.

On Monday, we looked forward to playing against an English team.  The declined, as they are undefeated in the UK, but lost all three matches in Brazil.  Our Brazilian friends, and training partners, told the English team the best they could hope for against us was a tie.  They did not want to take their chances.  Our day was spent participating in two training sessions.  Coach also played in a match with all of the Oscar staff.  Felipe, one of our waiters, was upset not to have coach on his team.  Felipe referred to coach as the second best player on the field, to himself, :).

Tuesday morning, we participated in our last training session, before saying our final goodbyes to Felipe, Thiago, Raul, Shushka, and all of the rest of our Brazilian family.  It was a teary ending, as we grew very close to our new friends.  Our last goodbye was to Joao at the airport, before departing for home.

I am very proud of the guys.  I hope that each of them will have stories that they can share with others for the rest of their lives.   


Relay for Life
Members of the Corning United Soccer Club - June 19, 2009 - War Memorial Stadium
Wednesday, July 1
Corning United Soccer Club Supports the 2009 Relay for Life

On Friday, June 19, members of the Corning United Soccer Club showed their support for local cancer survivors at the 2009 Relay for Life at Corning's War Memorial Stadium. Accompanied by coaches Chad Freelove and Dan Calkins, the players lined the inside of the track and cheered as survivors and caretakers made their first laps around the 1/4 mile track.  

Many thanks to the following players who offered their support and encouragement to our many local heroes: Andrew Ortiz, Andrew Timmons, Jeff Kahlmeyer, Steven Dunlap, Johnny Lang, Pat Kerwan,  John Howitt, Anthony Pavlick, Todd Edmister, Tony Secondo, Jake Ellison, Sam Schirmer and Julian Ladalia.

CUSC Fire 2009
Corning United Fire - Spring 2009
Back Row: Johnny Lang, Jeffery Kahlmeyer, Sam Shirmer, Andrew Timmons, Johnathan Howitt, Patrick Kerwan, Matt Sheffer, Jacob Ellison, Caleb Noel. Front Row: Coach Dan Calkins, Milan Patel, Jon Michael Tokar, Will Cornfield, Todd Edmister, Tony Secondo, Steven Dunlap, Spencer Hagy, Zach Dann, Evan Crawford, Coach Chad Freelove. 
(Not pictured: Francis Danquah, Sean Locker, Nickholas Jacobson)

Sunday, June 21
Thruway League matches #8 and #9

The CUSC Fire had a thrill filled weekend in Buffalo.  First, CUSC traveled to play vs. the Ken-Ton Celtics Saturday morning.  The match was wet and sloppy, as it rained throughout the entire match.  This played right into Ken-Ton, as they are a "boom-ball" oriented team, of kicking it hard and allowing their fastest players to run onto the ball.

Ken-Ton started the scoring to go up 1-0.  CUSC matched it within five minutes on a goal by Todd Edmister.  The ball was played into the corner, where Tony Secondo sent in a first-touch centering pass.  Steven Dunlap made the initial strike, before Todd cleaned up the goal.

CUSC struggled the rest of the match, as the resting water took away from their ability to pass the ball on the ground.  It turned into a volleyball match, that CUSC was unfortunately unable to sustain.

The team then went to spend the afternoon at Lasertron.  We played a futuristic game called "Cyber Sport".  This is a game similar to lacrosse, but played in bumper cars.  In between that and waiting for Lasertag, the guys were given approximately 20 tokens each to play games.  It turned into a fun afternoon of basketball, jackpot games, and just all around fun to be had by all.  The tickets won were turned in for a huge box of sour patch kids, nerf footballs, and transformer t-shirts!  Lasertag followed, and was AWESOME!

The fun did not stop, as the boys played water polo, nerf basketball, hotel room futsol, and other activities until late in the night. 

We woke up this morning and headed to the Grand Island soccer park, to take on a much improved Buffalo Blackwatch team.  This game was very back and forth, with CUSC dominating the time of possession overall. 

CUSC found themselves down 2-1 in the waning moments of the match, their lone goal scored on a free kick by Sam Schirmer.  With just over two minutes left, CUSC had a flurry of opportunities, highlighted by a header off the under side of the post on a corner kick by seventh grader Evan Crawford.  CUSC had plenty of opportunities, but the post and crossbar were not quite ready to give in to our onslaught.

All-in-all, it was a great weekend and a great spring.  Our record does not completely tell the story, as it was our first time playing premier, and it was the first time many of these boys played together.  Great season by all, and we look forward to carrying it through Brazil, Cleveland, and into the fall.

Sunday, June 14
RE: Thruway Match #7

For the third straight week, The Corning United Fire team have been a bit off their game.  For the first 10 to 15 minutes of the match, it looked like CUSC was back into their game.  They had Bethlehem reeling with their short passing, communication, and positive runs off ball.

Unfortunately, the next 25 to 30 minutes, CUSC fell into playing "boom ball," a game that they are not experiencing much success with.  Bethlehem, the number one team in the division, struck off a free kick redirection late in the half to put them up 1-0.

The second half was a regrouping for CUSC, and they came out in the second half with a rededicated focus on short passing.  Sam Schirmer broke through for a beautiful strike from about the 18, but the ball struck the under side of the post, redirected straight down, and spun out of goal.

Bethlehem took advantage of gained confidence in the fact that CUSC just couldn't put the ball in the net, and took advantage of a miscommunication between the goal keeper and defender.  A Bethlehem player made a heads up play after the two players thought each other would get it, and they left the ball about 12 yards from goal.

Corning United had full control of the game when they played the way they are coached.  20-30 minutes of great soccer will not do, especially when it is followed by 40-50 minutes of pure mediocrity.

The positives are that CUSC recognizes they can control any game when they play to their strengths.  We look forward to staying above .500 after next weekend's final matches in Buffalo vs. the Ken-Ton Celtics, and the Buffalo Blackwatch.

Overall: 2-2-3 (third place in the division) 

Sunday, May 31
Presidents Cup Rounds 1 and 2

The CUSC Fire came out and played a wonderful first match against the PA East representative tying them 0-0.  The Fire had four or five quality opportunities, but were unable to capitalize on the deep, plush grass.  JP Howitt turned away any opportunities that Westchester was able to develop.  The guys played a great match vs. the toughest opponent we have had yet to face.  The PA East team went on to beat the PA West representative 4-0 in their second match.

The Fire came out very flat, and immediately intimidated by the NY East representative, Stony Brook, as they had a huge size advantage.  They were also coming off of a 6-0 win over the PA West rep., and off of a four game win streak in their premier division on Long Island.  At the end of the first half, we found ourselves at a 0-1 deficit.  The Fire struggled to find any offensive output, and made a key mistake on defense at the end of the first half to afford Stony Brook their first goal.  The second half was not much better, as Stony Brook scored 12 minutes into the half to up their lead to 2-0.  At that point, CUSC was feeling a bit defeated and did not finish the match well.  Stony Brook is a very strong team, and will represent the North East very well in the Regional Round of the Presidents Cup Callenge.

CUSC is hoping to rebound well Sunday when playing the PA West representative.  This experience has been outstanding, and we hope to carry the "Big Game" mentality back into our Thruway Cup League matches.   

Friday, May 29
Presidents Cup

The Corning United Fire U-16 boys team is preparing to leave later this morning to represent New York State West in the national tournament, called the Presidents Cup.  The matches will take place at a brand new facility in Cranberry, PA, just outside of Pittsburgh. 

The team is very excited to represent New York State West in this prestigious tournament.  This round is the "Sub-regional" round.  Winning this weekend will mean playing June 20th and 21st in the "Regional" round.  Winning that round will place teams in the National Finals in July.

This is a fantastic opportunity afforded to our team, and our club.  We are going to go to Cranberry with the attitude that we will play as hard as we can, while representing New York State West in a positive way.


Good Luck Guys! 

Sunday, May 24
Gettysburg U-16/U-17 Tournament Memorial Day Weekend 2009

The Gettysburg Tournament was a very good experience this weekend.  There were some ups and downs, but hopefully we worked out some kinks before the Presidents Cup next weekend.

Our first match of the weekend was arguably against the strongest team we faced during the weekend.  We tied Warrington Hurricanes, 0-0.   They are a U-17 team that is very well disciplined and very technically sound.  We had a couple of chances late to win 1-0, but their defense and goal keeper made key stops late.

Our second match vs. the M.O.T. Raptors also ended in a tie, but 1-1.  After making a mistake mid match, CUSC struck back after a ball was sent into the corner from Francis Danquah to Tony Secondo.  Tony struck a ball toward the net, and celebrated as it beat the keeper to the back side of the goal.  This 1-goal tie was very key in the seedings for the tournament.

The third match of the day was a 1-0 win over host Gettysburg Vipers.  This score is actually closer than the game, but the goal keeper from Gettysburg played a very strong game in net.  Our lone goal was an absoultely beautiful volley from Steven Dunlap.  A great thru ball was fed from Matt Sheffer to Francis Danquah.  Francis sent in a centering pass, where Steven attacked the ball, sending it into the top right corner.

We earned the #1 seed in our division, and were placed in the top group as a top seed.

This is where our weekend really took a direction we were hoping not to see.  We lost to the U-17 Waynesborough Pride 2-0 in our first championship round match.  We were informed at 2:33 p.m. that we were playing at 2:30 p.m., after just finishing our last match at 2:05 p.m.  Needless to say, the other team played their last match over an hour before us, giving a significant advantage in the 90+ degree heat.

Our first morning match vs. FC York Titans did not go any better.  We came out very flat in the first half, and lost a couple of players to injury early on.  A key injury in Jeff Kahlmeyer, left us reeling a bit on defense.  We lost 1-0 in this match.

Beginning the day as a top seed, we were hoping to play for first place.  Ending the day, we were playing for 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th place of 22 teams.  We finished the day playing against Pennslyvania Power, Second to None Soccer Club.  Again, we began the game very flat.  They jumped out to a 1-0 lead on a hustle play.  Even though we controlled the second half of both games, we were unable to put goals on the board in day two.

All-in-all, the guys had a good weekend.  We played very well against very good teams.  We lost three games by four total goals.  The inconsistency of play could definitely be linked to many things, like lack of practice time recently, heat related illnesses, injuries, lack of core players present, etc.  But most importantly, the guys came out in the second half of each game attempting to rectify poor starts to matches.

We hope that next weekend we do not bury ourselves early in order to play "catch up" all game long.  The guys all had a chance to gain some experience through game time this weekend.  We're looking forward to visiting Cranberry next weekend to represent New York State West in the Presidents Cup.  

Sunday, May 17
Thruway Cup Match #6

The crazy weather was at it again.  Another very stiff wind, and cool afternoon at Corning Memorial Stadium.  This test would prove to be the toughest, as Ken-Ton was the most technically strong team we have played against this spring.

After three or four quality opportunities, The Fire capitalized on a thru pass when Steven Dunlap struck a ball that deflected off the goal keeper.  Johnny Lang was there to finish the ball into the empty net.  This was while facing the wind for the entire first half.  At the end of the half, Ken-Ton crossed a ball from the outside left flank that hung up in the wind and went into the far side corner of the goal.

The second half began just as it did yesterday, with Corning on the attack very frequently.  Ken-Ton was able to sneak in and catch the defense off guard with a quick slipped thru ball.  The offensive player (offside position) was able to just narrowly beat the extended arms of Howitt.  Howitt was not beat often today, as he made five or six absolutely beautiful saves.

We began the match with 16 players, and finished with 12 and 1/2.  With our depth depleted, the remaining players had to dig down deep to claw back into the match.  With about 18 minutes remaining, Sam Schirmer bent a beautiful ball about 30 yards with his left foot to the back right corner of the goal.  The only sound was the ball hitting the back post, sliding down the net, and our fans cheering the guys on to a 2-2 tie.

The Fire had a couple of other quality opportunities late, but the goal keeper for Ken-Ton played a very good game.

Corning is off to Gettysburg next weekend, and has had an exceptional beginning to the spring season.  Our next Thruway cup match will be two weeks after the Presidents Cup May 30th and 31st.  We are hoping to carry the momentum into the next couple of weekends.

2-2 tie; 2-1-3 overall; currently 2nd place in Thruway Cup U-16 Boys Blue Division

Saturday, May 16
Thruway League Cup Match #5

The flood gates opened today!   With a bit of concern due to the thirteen players in attendance, The Fire played with confidence, swagger, and passion today, crushing any concerns.

Scoring about 12 minutes into the match, was freshman, birthday boy, Steven Dunlap.  Fellow forward Todd Edmister slid a thru ball to his feet, and Steven outhustled a defender to finish one-on-one.  Right before the first of two lightning/thunder delays, Buffalo was able to take advantage of a skipping ball on the wet turf to knot the score at one goal each.

The second half was a Corning United dominated half.  CUSC outshot Buffalo 12-1, scoring on four of the opportunities.  Steven Dunlap finished two more on assists from Section IV tennis champion, Sam Schirmer, to complete his birthday hat trick.  Todd Edmister finished off of a corner from Schirmer, and off of a free set play from eighth grader, Jeff Kahlmeyer, to go along with his earlier assist.

The defense played an absolutely phenomenal game in the second half, squashing any opportunity Buffalo presented, even in the wet slippery weather.

The guys came into today's game with a sense of urgency that was yet to be seen at this point in the spring.  Tomorrow we'll have more depth, so hopefully we will not experience the fatigue that set in toward the end of the first half today.


We hope to carry this momentum into tomorrow vs. the Ken-Ton Celtics here in Corning at 4:00 p.m. 

5-1 win; 2-1-2 overall; currently 2nd place in the Thruway Cup U-16 Boys Blue Division

Sunday, May 10
Thruway League Cup Match #4

The CUSC boys hosted the former Junior Rhinos, Doug Miller Soccer Academy at Corning Memorial Stadium today.  The weather seemed to follow us from Rochester to Corning.  There was a very stiff wind that CUSC faced in the first half.  Regardless of that wind, CUSC outshot DMSA 4-2 in the half.

Unlike yesterday, the wind stayed in the second half.  CUSC outshot DMSA 5-2 in the second half to have an advantage of 9-4 in shots.  The Fire had at least three quality scoring chances, while the Academy had maybe one. 

The CUSC boys were again without two starting midfielders today, and showed tons of character to claw their way through the match.  The back four defenders played a pretty fantastic game, and role players were asked to step in to starting roles and/or positions they may not have been familiar with. 

One difficulty was the flying yellow cards.  CUSC was penalized very heavily with yellow cards today.  We do need to find a way to hustle on the field, while also exhibiting some control of our bodies.

All-in-all, it was an improvement from yesterday, and we look forward to carrying momentum into next weekend's home matches.

0-0 tie today; 1-1-2 overall record (3 goals scored, 4 goals allowed) 

Sunday, May 10
Thruway Cup League Match #3

Corning United visited the beautiful venue of Paetec Park last night to play against Doug Miller Soccer Academy, though the weather was far from as cooperative.

The Fire began short handed, as some key injuries depleted the midfield going into the match, as Matt Sheffer was injured in a lacrosse game Friday evening, and Zach Dann  was injured in a baseball game, as well.

To add insult to injury, the CUSC boys faced a very stiff wind in their faces for the entire first half.  This lead to Doug Miller outshooting CUSC 9-2 in the first half.  This lead to a 0-2 deficit.  Ironically, the wind was never advantageous for CUSC, as it shifted to side-to-side in the second half.  However, without the wind advantage, CUSC was able to outplay DMSA in the second half, to a tune of outshooting them 5-2, with some very good opportunities.

We are looking forward to a rematch Sunday at Corning Memorial Stadium.  We are also hoping for better conditions, but will do our best to compete in any instance.

Sunday, April 26
Thruway Cup Premier Match #2

CUSC did not quite have the same passion and fire today as last week.  Granted it was a hot day, and the turf was burning up.  We struggled to play our game and were often caught up in matching the boom ball approach of TC United.

The game stats speak a bit different story, as we outshot them 11-3, and out cornered them 7-2.  Really there were few quality chances for either side.  CUSC stopped the TCU runs, and TCU often stopped the CUSC runs.

The team will now have two weeks to prepare for the Doug Miller Soccer Academy.  The first of two weekend matches will take place on Saturday, May 9th @ Paetec Park, better known as Rochester Rhinos Stadium.  Doug Miller will then come to Corning the next day to play at the Corning Memorial Stadium.

Keep your heads up guys, and recognize that there is a need to pick up the intensity throughout the rest of the spring.

Monday, April 20
CUSC Fire Win First Ever Premier Level Match!

The U-16 boys went away to visit the TC United boys yesterday evening at TC3 Field in Dryden.  The guys began the day with hustle, and finished the day with hustle.

The first CUSC goal was scored on a pure hustle play by Tony Secondo.  With the defense pushed up, Tony put pressure on a neighboring defender to drop the ball to the goal keeper.  After leaving the defender to pressure the goal keeper, Tony took a clearing pass off of the chest into the opposition's goal.  After a flurry of other scoring opportunities, the half ended with a 1-0 CUSC lead.

Two minutes into the second half, the CUSC boys immediately capitalized on the team's half time adjustment.  A beautiful pass over the top of the defense from Sam Schirmer to Zach Dann, flanking the right side of the field, turned into a beautiful first touch centering cross.  After an initial miss on the play in the middle of the field by a couple CUSC players, Matt Sheffer took full advantage of a right footed half volley into the bottom right corner of the goal.

With about 25 minutes to play, TCU got on the board by scoring on a dribble drive down the baseline.  It was a very nice goal by TCU, that narrowly escaped the grasps of the winning goal keeper Jonathan Howitt.  About six minutes later, TCU struck again, dropping a free kick pass back, and lofting a pass up over the defense to a foward player (in an offside position).  The player finished the ball over the top of JP's outstretched arms.

With the score knotted at 2-2, CUSC finished the last 8 minutes of the game in the same full control that they exhibited throughout the match.  Another ball over the top of the defense from Sam Schirmer created an opportunity for Tony Secondo to again exhibit his hustle.  Tony was able to just get a small touch on the ball, sending it past the keeper, where Francis Danquah was able to beat a defender to the ball to finish it into the empty net.

The CUSC boys showed a great amount of character to play through a few adversities to come out on top of their first ever premier level match.  We came away from the game with a good feeling about where we are now, but recognize that in order to keep that good feeling going, there are things that we all need to work on together.

Great Match Guys!  

Tuesday, April 7
Opening for Spring Season in Less Than Two Weeks

The CUSC Fire team had their first outdoor practice last Saturday in preparation for their first spring premier level game on april 19th.  They will face the perrenial powerhouse TC United at TC3 field. 

The guys worked hard throughout the winter playing in premier level tournaments and indoor friendlies vs. premier level teams, in order to prepare for the outdoor season.  The team is realistically expecting some bumps in the road for their first spring as a premier team, but are looking forward to playing against the best soccer the state has to offer.

Many of the U-16 and U-19 players have also participated in recent practices.  Good luck to all of the Corning United Soccer Club Teams this spring.

Saturday, January 31
Congratulations George!

George Baity was recently recognized in the Corning-Painted Post School District with the Bacalles Memorial Award.  This award is given to one male and one female athlete at Corning East and Corning West High Schools.  This is one of the most distinguished awards given at the CPP Hall of Fame Sports banquet each year.

Wednesday, February 11
U-16 Team to Represent New York in Presidents Cup Tournament

The Corning United U-16 Fire team coached by Coach Freelove and Coach Calkins was informed Tuesday that they will be representing New York State West in the Eastern sub-regional playoffs for the Presidents Cup Tournament.  The sub-regional play will begin May 30th-31st in Pennsylvania against Pennsylvania West, West Virginia, and Virginia West.  Congratulations Boys, and Good Luck!

Wednesday, February 11
For All New News Items, Please Check the My Site News Link

Monday, February 16
Matthew's Invitational in North Carolina

This weekend eighteen players, and a great group of parent chaperones traveled to North Carolina for the Matthew's Invitational Tournament.  Though the eleven hour trip initially put us behind the eight ball Saturday morning, the guys showed a lot of character this weekend to overcome many adversities to play well in a very talented pool of a tournament. 

Saturday began with the guys playing against a true U-17 premier team, called Charlotte FC.  The first fifteen minutes of the match were very even, with both teams trading a couple of shots each.  Charlotte FC soon took control of the match, ultimately outscoring Corning 4-0.

The second match was a chance to move on from the morning.  Corning played HCSA very close.  In the first half, Corning had more quality opportunities than HCSA.  In the second half, HCSA started the scoring off of a missed clear.  HCSA caught Corning off guard again to build a 2-0 lead.  The guys shook off the early second half struggles to notch their first goal of the tournament.  A hustle play by Anthony Pavlick lead to a ball being sent into the corner to Julian LaDelia.  Julian dribbled to the end line and sent a ball across to Jesse Martinez for a very nice header goal.  The match finished with Corning on the short side of a 2-1 game.  (HCSA lost to Charlotte FC 1-0!!!-Great Improvement).

Sunday, after an evening filled with Mexican food, FIFA, COD, half-court NBA live shots, the pool, and more team bonding, the best soccer was awaiting us.  The guys played against the host club, Matthews FC, and looked like the best team in the tournament.  The passing and team work was impeccable.  It was a truly great display of soccer.  With the edge of quality opportunities significantly in Corning's favor, the guys struck gold in the second half, with a goal from Francis Danquah, off of a great centering pass from Anthony Pavlick.  The defense really stepped up this game, and played with such tenacity and heart.  This was a truly inspiring match through and through.  (Matthews only lost to Charlotte FC 2-0, and tied HCSA 0-0; Continued improvement for the team!).

What a wonderful tournament filled with quality teams.  The guys worked very hard, and made great progress toward building the comradery that was the ultimate goal of the weekend.  The teams in this tournament were in the later stages of their club/travel soccer seasons, meaning that they have been playing together over the past few months.  Our Corning boys showed a lot of class by being able to play with these teams.  Great job guys! 

Wednesday, February 18
Alumni Records

Calling all alumni...If anyone has any pictures they'd like to share, or would like to assist in establishing records pre-STAC, please contact Coach Freelove.  I have been able to establish some pre-STAC records, but would need help as far as goal keeping stats, and single game stats.  I hope that you enjoy the web site.

Friday, February 27
Congratulations 2008 Hawks!

Matthew Moore was selected as an Academic All Star athlete with a 94% average for the 2008 fall season.

Travis Rosenwinkel was selected to the Sportsmanship All-Star team for the 2008 fall season.


Congratulations Guys!